7

After a while, the sight of Toriel and the skelebros' isn't so alarming. I find it nice to have them around. They're really interesting.

Papyrus, I've come to learn, isn't as intimidating as he first come across. In fact, the opposite is true. He's really nice and sweet. I trust him, at least.

Sans doesn't seem to have an off button when it comes to puns. There's usually a constant stream of jokes coming from him. I hate them, but at the same time, they're hilarious. It's confusing, so I try not to dwell on it.

Frisk is adorable. She tries her hardest at everything, and even told me a bit about her monster friends. She reminds me of someone else, someone dear to me. I can't remember who it is, but the memory is associated with pain and loss.

And Toriel. She's Frisk's new mum. For some reason, Frisk doesn't seem sad at all to not be with her biological mother. I wonder why.

Toriel's butterscotch-cinnamon pie is the best thing I've tasted. She really good at cooking, (though Frisk tells me that she used to eat snail pie), and enjoys making food for other people. She gives quite a lot to Sans. Frisk says it's because if they didn't have Toriel's food, all they would have to eat would be spaghetti, since that' all Papyrus likes, (and probably knows), how to cook.

Apparently, I'm meeting two more people today. 'Warrior Fish' and 'Anime Nerd'. Judging by the names, these two should be as interesting as the skelebros.

There's a faint shout coming from the basement. It sounds like a war cry. Feet stomp toward this room, and I'm confronted by the strangest monsters yet.

There's a tall, bright blue fish lady, with shiny red hair tied back in a long ponytail. She wears a black tank-top and blue jeans. She's quite muscular, and her wide smile reveals sharp yellow teeth.

I'm already scared.

Another monster stands next to her. This monster is the exact opposite of the fish. She's a yellow dinosaur. Literally. She is bundled up heavily in various coats and scarves, even though it's pleasantly warm here. But I can see her nervous smile, her shifting eyes, her cautious trait.

"HEYA, PUNK!" I jump. Jesus Christ, that was loud. Maybe not as loud as Papyrus, though. "How are you, Frisk!?" The fish lady strides toward Frisk and picks her up, throwing her into the air like a ball. Frisk laughs, like it it's normal to be thrown around by a fish.

"H-hey F-F-Frisk," the smaller monster says. "W-where's T-T-T-Toriel? I h-have the s-soul tester. Oh, a-and where's th-th-the h-hum-. "The dinosaur sees me on the chair before she finishes her sentence, and cuts herself off. She opens her mouth but no words come out.

I wave at her. My strength is returning bit by bit. Soon, I'll be able to walk around. But for now, I can communicate in simple hand gestures, and facial expressions.

"Hi, human!" the fish says. "My name's Undyne! And this is my girlfriend, Alphys! I'm the leader of the Royal Guard, and Alphys is the Royal Scientist."

I think I've heard Papyrus mention the Royal Guard once or twice. I'm pretty sure that he actually wants to join it, but for some unknown reason, the Head is delaying his entry. I wonder why.

"Alphys!" Toriel comes in. "Greetings! It is nice to see you. How have you been? And Undyne. How is the Royal Guard faring? I do hope that you are training well."

"We're doing great, Your Majesty! Asgore's given us a room in the castle, one that's practically indestructible!" she says happily. Oh great, now I'm even more scared. "Anyway, Alphys wanted to do some tests on the new human." She peers at me. "Hmmm. Not very talkative, are you?"

"She cannot talk just yet, Undyne." Toriel says gently. "Where is Alphys? Ah, there you are. Right Will, this will not hurt at all. We just need to see your soul." Toriel says. She kneels down in front of me. Her hand stretches toward me slowly. White sparks dance on her fingertips. "I am not going to hurt you. Do you trust me?" I nod. I need to start trusting them. Thin white ropes stream from her fingers and reach into my chest. It doesn't hurt at all. There's only a faint tugging sensation. The ropes emerge from where they were embedded in, holding something blinding to look at.

Once my eyes get used to the light, I can properly see what exactly it is. A large heart floats in front of me, glowing brightly, never flickering. It's silver, like a locket without a chain. I stare at it, mesmerised. From the corner of my eyes, I can see everyone else look at it in wonder and, for some reason, confusion.

"Your soul is so pretty!" laughs Frisk. "I've never seen that colour before."

"I-I h-h-haven't either." Alphys mumbles. "I d-d-didn't know that h-human souls could be s-s-s-silver." She steps closer, and brings out a flat black box with electrodes on it. "I'm g-going to put th-these on your s-s-s-soul," she explains.

The electrodes feel odd against it. Alphys holds the box out in front of her. A hologram flickers to life. I can't read it from here, because of the fact that it's flipped. Everyone else crowds around it.

"DT l-levels are unusually high. Highest I-I've ever seen m-myself." Alphys murmurs. "I-it can't read the t-trait either. B-but I've p-p-programmed every trait a human could have. HP seems n-normal. No LOVE or EXP." What on earth is she talking about? "Maybe there's an old b-book around h-h-here s-s-somewhere." Alphys looks up at Toriel. "In c-conclusion, I d-don't know what k-kind of soul Will has. Sorry. B-but I c-can say that her s-s-soul is healthy."

"That is all I wanted to know, Alphys dear." Toriel looks at me warmly, and gently pushes my soul back into my chest. A sudden warmth spreads from my chest to my fingertips.

"Ooh! Can I show her my soul? Please."

"Alright, my child."

Frisk screws up her eyes, looking extremely funny. Her chest glows blood red, and another ball of light spills out of her. Frisk's soul's smaller than mine, and has a slightly dimmer glow, but no one can argue about its beauty. The light floods the room and bathes the child's face in its rich colour.

"W-we believe th-that Frisk's s-s-soul t-t-trait is Determination, b-b-but we may b-be wrong."

"Anyway Toriel, Alphys and I need to go. We'll see you punks later! Bye!"

A/N

I typed the last few paragraphs whilst watching Markiplier play Sister Location. So most of my attention was on making sure that the laptop wouldn't slide off my lap during the jumpscares.

I honestly don't really like the quality of this chapter that much. That's because my mind is preoccupied with bigger and more important stuff coming up soon. I can't wait to write about that stuff. But for now, STAY TUNED!