Chapter 6

Chapter 6

They took Faye and the creep to a local hospital along with a few of the residents of the apartments. No-one said anything on the way there and was separated once they arrived.

The doctors were too busy with victims of more injuries, so when they finished wrapping Faye's feet and told her to stay off her feet and to apply cream to them twice a day which she could pick up from the pharmacy in the lobby before they discharged her and moved swiftly onto the next person.

The first place she hobbled to was to the children's ward.

She spotted Graham pacing and chewing the skin around his thumb, glancing every so often at the ward. Taking a deep breath, she hobbled over and tried to hide the pain coming from her feet.

“Faye,” Graham sighed and pulled her into a tight hug, pulling her up to get toes. “I was so worried about you,” he said when Faye pushed away from him.

“How's Shannon?” she asked and crossed her arms and looked into the ward.

“I've called the police,” he muttered making Faye nod in approval. “She's scared and shaken and she's suffering from smoke inhalation but nothing too serious. Her full name is Shannon Donald.”

She frowned at the random information; if he was keeping something from her was he also keeping it from everyone else.

“She was kidnapped two weeks ago,” he explained, at least he wasn't going to keep that information from her, “The kidnapper asked for a ridiculous amount but then explained that her parents could pay in small amounts, but until he got the full amount, they wouldn't get their daughter back.”

Faye chewed her lip and looked back at the ward, trying to spot Shannon. “Has someone called her parents yet?” She asked and pushed through into the ward.

“No, that's the police's job,” he replied but froze to the spot when they saw who else was by Shannon's bed, scaring the poor girl half to death.

The creep had hold of her hand in a tight grip and was talking in a low voice to her.

Faye didn't notice what she was doing until she leapt onto the foot of Shannon's bed and launched herself at the creep, knocking him away from Shannon and out of the wheelchair given by the hospital. “I told you I'd make your life hell,” she hissed before punching him across the jaw.

She was pulled off him and dragged away before she could do any real damage. “As a father I would say keep beating him up,” Graham hissed as he wrapped his arms around her to hold her back, “But as a lawyer, I'm telling you to leave it for the other prisoners.”

She struggled out of his grasp and leapt back into the bed all the time glaring at the creep while the nurses scurried over to help him back into his chair.

“Hey Sparrow,” a guy in a black leather jacket, work trousers and a shirt like Graham’s said as he strolled over to Graham’s side, “What’s going on here?” He placed his hands on his hips, pushing his jacket aside to show off his police badge.

“Colin Chaplin, this is my daughter Faye,” Graham introduced quickly before turning to a more important subject. “This is why I called you, Faye found Shannon Donald in the flat above hers.”

Chaplin’s eyes widened as he stared at Shannon lying in the bed, looking terrified at all the adults around her. “Okay, I’ll phone her parents with the good news but I’ll be happier with the kidnapper in custody,” he said but smiled at Shannon all the same, it was always good to find a child after a kidnapping; especially when said child has been missing for two weeks.