Chaper 24

Chapter 24

 Crime in the city was like a rabid but injured animal, it was down but every so often it would rise back up but the Confessor was always there to knock it back down.

The police had even started to keep up with the Confessor; they were learning from their mistakes and were adamant that a criminal would not bring down the crime world for them. She would be on the verge of getting a confession when the sirens could be heard and she would have to vanish before the police caught her.

On the third close scrape, Faye decided that she could retire from crime fighting; the police seemed to be picking up the slack and when they were close enough to shoot at her when she was running away, she was damn sure she could leave before she really was shot instead of her coat. Now she was free to work on other things like her club, or a life with Colin. When she told Abby and Sam, both were disappointed but could understand – or at least Sam did, he told her that if he ever got caught he would lose his licence. But Abby insisted on working on the kidnappings some more in the lair, she at least wanted to help the people who had been effected even if Faye wasn’t.

The Confessor disappeared at the start of autumn and the police thought for good. The captains though figured that she came into play to ‘kick’ the police into action to do more about the crime waves in their city, and now that they were, there was no need for the Confessor.

By the end of autumn, the cold bite of winter made it perfect for snuggling up under a blanket with a good movie and a lot of hot chocolate to warm their hands. Faye couldn’t imagine a better moment, tucked up against Colin’s warm chest with a thick blanket around them while they watched the latest rom-com.

The hot chocolate hadn’t even cooled when the station phoned Colin; spoiling their night. They needed every available personnel to help at a large business building with over twenty hostages and at least three gun men that they had counted.

After promising to stay safe and to phone once everything was safe, Colin quickly kissed her and snatched his jacket, gun and badge as he left. Faye was left to worry about him with her movie and chocolate.

She was half way through the movie and was considering changing it when her mobile started playing Abby’s ring tone.

“What has Thea done now?” she asked once she picked up. The only reasons Abby phoned now was to give an update on her search and when Thea started panic buying or planning; Faye was hoping for the latter.

She could hear Abby typing still while music was playing quietly out of the computer speakers. “This isn’t a Thea phone call,” she muttered and stopped typing to concentrate on talking to Faye.

Faye rubbed her head and closed her eyes for a moment; right then she would have loved a Thea problem. It wasn’t as if she was tired of listening about what Abby had found about the kidnapping’s and it was great when she found a lead to the kidnapped people, but every time she had to keep reminding Abby that she was out of the action. “What did you find?” she asked just to keep Abby happy while she looked for the TV remotes in the folds of the blanket.

“I think I’ve found where the Mistress’ live, or at least their HQ.”

“You should tell the police or at least leave an anonymous file of everything we’ve found; it could be the final case for the Confessor.”

Abby started typing away again, muttering every so often as she worked. Faye had left step by step instructions to hack into the police system undetected and to slip away just as inconspicuously, but some of the steps were hard to remember and needed a lot of concentration.