Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The weeks seemed to fly by after Graham’s unexpected visit and accused Faye of being the Confessor. He was put straight after trying to report her to the police, and when he tried to report her attack on Charlotte; Colin quickly made those reports disappear once he found out.

Crime had calmed down after Rakes’ murder. Most of the police thought it was because Rakes was the head of most crimes in the city and now the other minor criminals were keeping low in case the Confessor homed in on them next.

For a while Faye thought that she could retire from her night life. But she was always cautious about the next time some drug dealer or murder surfaced, she even kept her eyes open for any more kidnapping cases; after all Mistress D was still out there somewhere even if her minion had gone.

Thea had finally cornered Faye on her day off and talked none stop about her possible future with her Simon. She was still a little nervous that she would become a pampered house wife and expected to have an heir and so on. At least when she was talking to Faye, Faye could keep her calm and help her think clearly.

A week after Faye finally reassured her friend that if she talked to Simon about her worries she would be fine, she found herself being dragged dress shopping in the city over with Abby in tow. The pair stormed into the bungalow and dragged Faye from her bed while Colin just stood by and laughed when she pleaded for help.

She was still half asleep when they dragged her into the first bridal shop; she was however well aware that she wasn’t being forced into dressed. She watched Thea try on dress after dress each one whiter and bigger and louder than the last and the price kept going up and up. By the time Faye was capable of making an intelligent sentence; the sale assistances had huge grins on their faces and could practically see the money they would get from Thea with every dress she tried on.

“Shouldn’t you have told your parents that you’re engaged?” Faye asked, she had been out of touch with her friend and didn’t know who she had told.

“I’ve told them I’m going out with Simon, but Dad almost ran him out of the house when we went to see them,” Thea shouted from the changing room, “Dad thinks Simon wants me as a charity project or something, so his friend’s wives can think he’s a real sweet heart, but he’s not. I’ve heard some of the other women talk about me behind my back, but I don’t listen to them.”

“So when are you going to tell your parents?”

The curtain swished open and Thea stepped out in normal clothes as she handed the large amount of material over to the assistant. “Once I find a dress and talk to Beth, I’ll take Mum dress shopping and tell her over coffee or something,” she said as she stood in front of the wall size mirror to straighten her hair and clothes out.

“What about your Dad?” Faye mumbled and lent forward to brace her elbow on her knee, her head on her hand and closed her eyes.

“I’ll tell Mum to get a tux for him without him knowing and then phone him up the week before the wedding arranging for him to get to the church the day I get married.”

“Seeing as you dragged Faye and me out, who’s going to be your maid of honour?” Abby asked, practically jumping in her seat with excitement.

Faye opened an eye to look up at Thea, glaring at her as she waited to hear the name. Faye didn’t know if it just the mood she was in or she didn’t like the idea at all, but if Thea said she was maid of honour, she was going to flip.

She turned back to her two best friends with a guilty look on her face, looking from one to the other. “I don’t want to choose between you two,” Thea admitted.