Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Everything was quiet on the second floor of the house, but Faye didn’t believe for one minute that there was no-one else in the house with her. Even if Rakes had escaped somehow, he wouldn’t have been able to keep a teenager silent as well or someone would have heard or seen something.

There were two bedrooms, a bathroom and two other wooden doors, but Faye was only interested in the door that was decorated with posters and photos from a typical teenage girl’s bedroom door. Her bedroom was at the back of the house, so if the girl wanted to get in without her parents seeing, she would only need to climb through her bedroom window.

There were quiet sobs coming from behind the closed bedroom door and gruff commands that Faye couldn’t make out, but guessed they were to keep the girl quiet. She stood outside the room to collect her thoughts and calm her nerves that threatened to make her hands shake. She was going to go in there, get the girl out without a scratch and kill Ethan Rakes if he starts shooting.

Taking a deep breath, she calmed her jittery nerves and kicked the wooden door open with a war cry. “Drop it,” she cried, not sure what she was telling him to drop, but drop anything he had all the same.

The room was a typical girl’s room, girly colours under all the band posters and photos and teddies from her childhood litter around the room with the owner of the room cowering beside her bed with tear streaks down her face.

Faye’s gun never left the other man holding a gun but her eyes were locked firmly on the girl, trying to show that she was there to help. “Drop the gun,” she said slower as she dragged her gaze to the deal danger in the room.

Her heart was slamming against her ribs so hard; she thought that it was going to leap right out of her chest at any moment. Rakes was older and smaller than she remembered, he was skinny and looked like a weasel with large bushy eye brows and a poor excuse for a moustache on his top lip. He seemed to favour his left leg and his hand trembled a little from aiming the gun for so long at the girl.

Everything Faye noted and tried to concentrate on how to use any of his disadvantages to her advantage.

“This is the end Ethan Rakes,” she rasped.

“How do you know me?” Rakes asked and switched his focus to Faye and aimed his gun at her.

Faye had no doubts that his gun was real unlike the ones he gave the other men. She made sure that she kept an eye on it, last thing she needed was to be shot when her focus was elsewhere, but if she kept it off the girl then she would take the bullet. “I’ve had my eye on you for a very long time,” she hissed.

“It was you Kathrin was talking to,” he accused and stepped back to get a better angle on her.

“And you executed her,” Faye replied and followed his movement with her gun but didn’t move out of the doorway.

“Dead men don’t have big mouths that run away with them when they are scared.”

“Yet they talk loudly to the police,” Faye replied, “Get out,” she hissed. While Rakes was confused, Faye flicked her eyes back at the girl and nodded her head out the door; meaning for her to make her escape.

Taking a risk, Faye swapped her gun into her other hand and placed her free hand on her belt over her knife. She looked once more at the girl who only looked at Rakes with fear in her eyes.

He finally understood what was going and shifted his aim back to the girl who had just plucked up the courage to dive for the door.

Faye flicked her hand and let the knife fly into Rakes’ arm before he could shoot either of them as the girl slipped out of the room and thundered down the stairs.