Chapter 16~ Nightmares

Perona POV~

I was running down the long hallway, the shouts and thuds of my perusers behind me greeting my ears as my long blonde hair whipped around my head.

My breathing was heavy from running so much and my lungs burned as my small twelve year old feet thudded against the floor. Where's the entrance to this goddamn place?!

My arm still stung from the fresh tattoo that had been inked onto my skin only a few days earlier, but I tried not to think about it too much.

I turned a corner and stopped suddenly, my breath catching in my throat and making me gag a little.

Before me stood a girl who could only have been a few years or so older than me. She had pretty short cut blonde hair a little lighter than my own and wore a dark dress that only just made it past her rear. She also wore heals and a pink boa wrapped around her neck. Her body was littered with scars (some old, some new, some torn open and bleeding) and her skin was an unnatural greyish blue, giving the illusion that she had been dead for a while. She had her own bat tattooed to the once flawless skin of her slender neck, and a spider web inked onto her left thigh.

"Victoria Cindry...!" I breathed, feeling the need to say her full name. There never actually was a funeral to honor her.

"You left me there to die, Perona." She said down to me in her emotionless monotone voice. I felt tears begin to well up in my eyes. "I tried to get you out...!" I squeaked childishly. "I really tried...!" The crystalline droplets began to stream down my cheeks, but when they hit the floor they were a deep bloody red.

"You left me alone." Cindry muttered. "We said we would get out together."

I bit my bottom lip until it bled and squeezed my eyes shut as I clenched the filthy fabric of my short dress in my tiny hands.

"They were beating you...!" I cried. "When I tried to get close they beat me too!"

"You ran when I needed you most." Cindry continued, her glare intensifying.

"I tried--!" I was cut off as the corpse of a girl swooped down and snatched my arms in her cold grasp. I hissed in pain when she gripped my tattoo.

"YOU COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!!" She shouted in my face. "YOU COULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE INSTEAD OF JUST RUNNING AWAY AND FORGETTING ABOUT ALL THAT HAPPENED!! YOU FORGOT EVERYTHING UNTIL THEY SHOWED BACK UP!! YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN TO KEEP MOVING!! TO NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!! THEY'LL ALWAYS FIND YOU BECAUSE YOU WERE ONE OF THEM!! YOU CAN NEVER ESCAPE!! NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER!!"

~|~|~|~|~|~

I woke up with a scream and began thrashing about wildly in my bed.

My covers felt as though they were constricting me, trying to pin me down and choke me into submission.

When I finally calmed down enough I checked myself over, making sure that my once blonde hair was pink, I was still in my pajamas, and that I was sixteen again. As soon as I made sure everything was normal, I began to cry.

I cried until my throat was raw and my pillow was soaked with tears.

I don't know for how long I sobbed, but when it finally died down to a sniffle, I reached over to my nightstand to get my phone.

How long has it been since the incident at Mihawk's house? How many days have I been out of school? How many times had I ignored my friends all waiting at my door to be let inside? How many times have I had that dream again?