Chapter 24~Please Wake Up...

Zoro POV~

I walked into Perona's hospital room with a tight lipped smile on my face and a bunch of flowers from the hospital's gift shop in my hand.

"Hey," I called out quietly to the pink haired girl and walked over to the table on the left side of her bed.

"Sorry I haven't visited in a while, but school got out for summer yesterday, and you told me once that June 7th was your birthday, so happy 17th birthday, Perona!"

My smile was wide as I stared down at my best friend, but Perona stayed the same way as she had been for the past few months since she was admitted to the hospital: asleep.

My best friend was in a coma... On her birthday.

I felt my chin begin to quiver a bit, but I clenched my jaw and replaced the wilting flowers in a vase on the table with the new ones I had just bought.

"I-I bet everyone's already been in to see you, huh?" My voice wavered slightly as I pulled up a chair to sit next to her.

"I saw the carnage Luffy made in the cafeteria when I was trying to find the gift shop! That guy seriously needs to stop eating so much!" I tried to laugh, but it was hard.

After a minute of silence, I exhaled shakily and grabbed Perona's lifeless hand- hating the feeling of wires and tubes in her skin- and looked up at her face.

Lila had gotten permission from Perona's doctor to keep dying the petite girl's hair pink whenever the blonde roots began to grow in, and she had a clear breathing tube strapped under her nose.

The steady beeping if the heart monitor and the even rise and fall of her chest almost lulled me into a false sense of hope; that she was just sleeping and would wake up at any moment.

But no matter how much I waited, or how many times I carried out a one way conversation, Perona never woke up. Just kept sleeping...

"Please wake up..." I breathed, pressing my forehead to the back of her hand and closing my eyes. "I finally figured it out. You're not just some crush, Perona. I love you. God, I love you! So please... Just wake up... For me. Wake up..."