Chapter 2

2 months into the beginning of the school year Nami had caved in and was now seated at her desk while Vivi and Caimie tugged at her hair in an effort to style it.

"Ow."

"We're almost done, Nami."

The two girls exchanged looks and giggled quietly. Nami had beautiful wavy hair and it was velvety soft to the touch. They were both jealous and were more than pleased for this long-awaited opportunity.

"Just make sure that I'm not bald by the end of this," Nami mused.

She had thought it a waste of time playing hairdresser after school but it turned out to be a great bonding experience with her close friends.

It would have been an even better experience if Roronoa Zoro wasn't snoring like a sleeping dragon.

One after the other fellow classmates exited the room. He had went down exactly 10 minutes before the bell and as the class president Nami was about to scold him for not paying attention but Mr. Shanks advised her to let him be. The loud bell wasn't even enough to make him budge and to that everyone shrugged, gathered their things and left at their own time.

Based on how hard he slept, Nami wouldn't be surprised if he stayed like that long after dark. Nevertheless, once school was over and none of her classmates were in any form of trouble how he/she decided to spend their time wasn't her problem.

"Your hair looks great. Trust me," said Caimie, "I'll show you."

Said girl unzipped her bag to unearth the huge mirror she liked to carry around while Vivi on the other hand was busy adding the finishing touches to the style.

Nami's ears caught murmuring. It turned out that first years had entered the room. Out of curiousity, she paused the game on her phone to see what all the commotion was about. Two underclassmen made a u-turn to the very back going towards Roronoa Zoro's seat.

Her eyes widened with a start upon the realization that she was staring into the eyes of the one with the skinny arms, uncombed hair and tan skin. His big innocent eyes stared right back at her and for the first time in years, Nami became aware of herself. She could not look away.

The little game they subconsciously played came to an end when he bumped into his long-nosed friend.

"Watch where you're going, Luffy."

"Oh sorry."

Luffy. His name was Luffy.

Nami was no longer under his spotlight and she couldn't make sense as to why that irked her.

"Nami."

"Nami."

"Hey Nami. You there?"

Nami's head turned to the call of her name and found that Caimie was handing her a mirror.

"What's this for?"

"Don't you want to see the style? It's done."

Nami looked at her hair and was more than impressed.

"Hey, you're blushing," said Vivi,"You must really like it, huh?"

Nami touched her warmed cheek and nodded thanking the girls. As they both celebrated, she tried to find Luffy's eyes once more but he was no where to be found; Zoro too as well as the other first year.

She had never seen him around but after that day he appeared in the halls, in the lunchroom, standing outside the school gates and no matter how many times their paths crossed, he hadn't looked at her again. Not even once.