Chapter 23

One great buzzling Tuesday morning, Usopp and Nami were out and about. All the stores in the city were having grand sales and the two schoolmates were looking for deals; strutting about with their arms linked and their eyes peeled.

What's the reason for this close interaction you ask? Simple. It was the great Usopp-sama's idea to avoid getting separated. The crowds were great in number. However, there's another reason: Out of everyone in the group, besides Luffy, Nami was closest to Usopp. He was the closest thing to a brother she will ever get. The brother she always wanted. Would she link arms with Chopper? Sure. Zoro? Sanji? She would have to think twice when it came to them but with Usopp, it was completely natural. He also came in handy to carry the 'few' things she bought. What more could she ask for?

Now these two were in deep conversation. Let's eavesdrop, shall we?

"Sometimes I wish I were brave like Luffy or strong like Zoro or as charming as Sanji. They're all so talented. I'll never be like them."

Nami agreed, "They're monsters. You'll never compare to them."

Usopp lifted and dropped his shoulders. That saying: 'The truth hurts' was spot on but he still managed to smile in defeat.

"But," Nami continued discarding her toffee wrapper in a nearby bin, "You're cool in your own way."

Usopp straightened his shoulders.

"There's no target you can't hit and you tell the most compelling stories I've ever heard in my life. Luffy, Sanji and Zoro cannot ever be like you. They'll have to try really hard but they'll never be you. That's your super power."

Usopp's face warmed and he rubbed the bottom of his long nose, eyes closed.

"I'm pretty great, huh?"

"Hai, hai," Nami said casually looking at a restuarant. Whatever they had on the menu smelled divine and she wondered if Luffy would like eating at a place like that. He'd probably order all the meat dishes and stuff his face silly if he could. She smirked at the thought and Usopp caught her smile. He knew that smile anywhere.

Nami pointed to another store of interest they could check. The deals that day were outrageous. A steal of a deal. But before Usopp allowed himself to be pulled along, he had a question that was weighing heavy on his chest.

"How do you guys do it, Nami?"

"Who?"

"You and Luffy. I mean, isn't it weird to date your childhood friend?"

"No. Not really." Nami placed a curved finger under her chin and a light bulb flickered above her head. "Is this about you and Kaya?"

Usopp hesitated to answer but he didn't have to just yet.

"You know, if you like her- which I know you do- just tell her. Stop denying it."

They crossed the street and came to stand under the traffic light. Others hurried pass.

"Okay-okay. I like Kaya. I like her more than a friend. It's just that I don't know how to go about confessing. What if things get awkward? What if she thinks I'm weird?"

Nami was more than willing to help. Finally they were getting somewhere.

"Pretend I'm Kaya."

"What? Why?"

"Try confessing to me."

The idea wasn't half bad but Usopp didn't like the thought of doing so around all these people. Nami shrugged not caring but he persuaded her to follow him in an alley. It wasn't ideal but he was comfortable.