Chapter 22

Luffy and Nami made eye contact one last time before he got swept away in the festivities. Neither was smiling. It was more like an exchange of words left unsaid. She left without saying goodbye and they didn't speak again for four whole days.

i

i

The time was 11:00pm and Luffy turned on the couch unable to fall asleep. His friends were staying the night at his house and they all were passed out. Who didn't bring sleeping bags found a spot on the floor. That was more than half of them.

He stretched his back now sitting down and checked his phone. To his delight and surprise, Nami was online. Summer vacations started so there was plenty of time to do the things the responsibility of school denied.

"Hey," he typed.

Nami was way ahead of him and sent a message before he could press send.

"Hi."

"Hey. What are you doing up?"

"Reading."

This sparked Luffy's interest. Nami continued.

"A novel. It's dull so I'll probably move onto another one soon."

"Are you wearing your glasses?"

"Yeah. Why?"

Nami's brows furrowed seeing that Luffy was requesting a video call. She accepted despite the late hour.

Seeing him again made her fight back a smile.

"What is it, Luffy?"

Now about to hook her glasses off her ears he stopped her.

"You don't have to take them off."

"Why?"

There was a reason why Nami wore contacts. She didn't like her glasses. Never got used to them.

She tugged on the scrunchy wrapped around her wrist with her teeth and smoothed her hair into a ponytail.

"You don't have to tie your hair up either."

Her hair was a frizzy mess but she obeyed and as the hair fell back effortlessly along her shoulders, Luffy stared at her as if taking her all in before declaring:

"Perfect."

with this big dumb smile on his face making Nami blush. Her book slid off the bed but she didn't bother picking it up. She tilted her head in thought. It was cute.

"Where are you anyway?"

"I'm home. Downstairs in the den. The guys came over to spend some time."

He moved the camera to show everyone fast asleep scattered about the room in awkward sleeping positions. Zoro snored the loudest.

"Why wasn't I invited?"

"Guys only. No girls allowed," Luffy said and pulled down an eyelid and stuck out his tongue.

Nami mimicked him with more emphasis and together they burst into quiet giggles.

Nami then got tired of sitting and layed down on her side snuggled on a pillow. Luffy followed her every movement. She looked so comfortable.

"I wish I was there with you right now."

He too plopped on his side and Nami's cheeks took on red.

"Don't say embarrassing things like that, Luffy."

"Why not?"

"It feels like we've been avoiding each other."