Chapter 29

On a Sunday, Nami joined her mother on a last minute trip to the grocery store; and wandered off immediately when Bellemere ran into an old friend.

She hated when that happened. Why did grownups talk so much?

In the stationary aisle, Nami got for herself some blue pens and a selection of coloured highlighters and binders. School was back in session on Tuesday and like everything else, she wanted to be prepared.

This was her final summer as a high school student and it was well spent. The best one yet. And Luffy may or may not have been the reason.

They spent time together whenever and however they could. Not to mention the amount of fun things they did and places they went with the guys.

Speaking of Luffy, she entered the container aisle and went seeking for the one thing at the very top of her list.

"Why are you so happy, Nami?" Bellemere asked catching a smile on her daughter's lips. They were on their way out the supermarket. Genzo was waiting outside in his truck.

"No reason," said Nami.

She smiled even wider.

School was back in session and we skip to Luffy's favourite part of the day: Lunch!

The two sandwiches and bottle of lemonade he bought from the cafeteria were gone in seconds.

Not completely satisfied, Luffy held is hand out towards Sanji. The lady-loving cook didn't bother sparing him a glance.

"I didn't cook for you today, Luffy."

"What? Why Sanji?" Luffy whined, "Did you forget?"

"No. You eat too damn much anyway."

The poor boy slumped on the table, never feeling more betrayed.

"I'll share with y-" Usopp clamped a hand over the doctor's mouth. And the look Sanji gave him made him stuff the words back down his throat.

"What took you so long, Marimo?"

"Shut up, cook."

Luffy hearing the usual squabble looked up thinking he could convince Zoro to lend him some extra cash but was met by a large red thermos lunch box. It had a total of three tiers.

"Nami sent that for you, Luffy."

"Nami did? What is it?"

"What do you think it is?"

Sanji smirked and watched as Luffy slowly lifted one of the latches. Feeling the radiating heat, his eyes went wide and he hurried to open the rest.

He paused, wiped the drool from the corner of his mouth and gulped hard. Slowly lifting the cover, everyone marveled as the contents came to light. It smelled divine and was a sight to behold.

The first layer had an assortment of meats such as perfectly round meat patties, juicy honeyed chicken, stewed pork and fried shrimp. The second had rice that glistened in the sun and was cornered with a sheet of fresh curly lettuce, red tomatoes and evenly cut cucumbers. The third was onigiri and an array of ham rolls. Some had cheese and avocado. Some had a strange looking ingredient that could only be determined by taste. But it all looked tempting nevertheless.

Everyone ooed and aahed. Luffy stood awe-struck and his friends seized up as liquid dripped from his eyes.

"Luffy? You okay?"

Luffy dug in. The taste sent tremors through his veins and he grinned hard though the tears.

"Delicious!"