Chapter 18

Nami turned her face in her pillow and groaned. His offer was tempting but how could she put it nicely that she just wanted solitude, good old-fashion peace and quiet?

Luffy blinked. "Does your stomach hurt? Do you need some tea?"

Maybe she had to take a poo.

Nami shook her head no. Further words came out in a muffle.

"Because of this, I'm easily irritated right now, Luffy. So please just g-"

"Need a hug?"

"What? No."

"You sure?"

There was movement on his end and when Nami felt a grip around her waist she instantly clamped down on the corner of the mattress.

"Just leave me alone."

He tickled her skin and Nami gasped jerking up in surprise and readied a fist but Luffy was so gentle with her; with an arm around her shoulders and the other about her hips, he brought her close in a tight hug. Her nose pressed against his collar bone and like butter on a hot knife, she melted. To make matters worse, he circled an open palm where the pain was in her lower back and her eyes fluttered closed; from her lips escaped little sighs.

Nami smiled hooking an arm under his, returning the hug and surrendered. Through her parted bangs he kissed her.

The battle was over. He won. He always won.

"Hugs make everything better, Nami. You should know that."

He smelled nice. There was faint smell of shower gel and shampoo and it was a huge difference since all he's been doing lately after school was practice leaving him all sweaty and smelly. This was nice for a change.

"That new park that opened in town last week- you know the one with the rides?"

Nami nodded.

"Well they're leaving tomorrow and I wanted to take you but now isn't a good time, huh?"

"Nope. What about the guys?"

"They're all going later and I plan on going too."

"That's good. Time with your friends is important."

"I just really, really wanted you to come along."

"I'm sorry." Nami didn't want to feel bad. If she could she would but being at a theme park during this time of month was a big no-no. But she didn't like disappointing him.

He motioned her back down and tucked her in.

"I'll take you when they're back. Usopp said they come every three years. I'll take you then. How's that?"

Now back on his side, a glide of fingers through his hair was all the assurance Luffy needed and he smiled big and wide to himself. He wouldn't dare forget. It's a promise.

On closer inspection, Nami saw bags under his eyes and the heavy eyelids. To put the icing on the cake, Luffy yawned and his eyes were now hoods.

"Didn't you get any sleep at all last night, Luffy?"

"Hardly. I've been so busy with practice I wanted to stay up and play video games and it was worth it."

He grinned with his eyes closed only to be awakened by a pinch tugging on his cheek.

"Ow. What?"

"Didn't you say that you'll be here if I needed anything?"

"I'm still here, aren't I?"