Chapter 14

"That was close."

What if things turned out for the worst? What if she got caught and made Luffy get into even more trouble than he bargained for? What if this time he really got sent away? And it would all be her fault.

It was a brilliant plan at first- just needed to check up on him to see how he was and to high-tail it out of there. But just when she thought that luck was on her side, she lost her footing and tripped.

"Nami?"

"I'm so sorry," she said standing up but Luffy held her back, gently pulling her back down to him. There was little resistance on her part and as soon as she settled down between his knees, he put his arms around her. Having no idea what she was apologizing for, he smiled deciding that it didn't matter.

Nami on the other hand was stiff with shock. This was their first real hug and she was 100% sure that the chill that went up and down her spine earlier left her entire skin rough with goosebumps. She hated how easily he caught her off-guard.

"How dare you, Luffy."

Luffy flinched and grew even more confused when she leaned her head side his and firmly grasped his shoulders; her arms interlocked around him.

Now that he'd hugged her like this where was she to find the desire to leave now?

"I missed you," she said.

And Luffy chuckled quietly because he was thinking the exact same thing.

"I missed you too."

Nami sighed and turned her face in his neck, her fingers gripping onto his shirt.

"Nami..."

"Mm?"

"About the other day-"

"I'd rather not talk about it, Luffy."

"But I want to."

Nami blinked awake from her state of bliss and found his expression serious yet unsure.

Flashbacks of Bellamy coming up to Nami and pulling her away made him upset again.

She resisted and when Bellamy saw that she was reaching out to that first year, he wanted so badly to strike her. She made a fool of him in front of the whole team- quitting on the spot. When trying to get her to reconsider, she flat out walked out the room. But before he could teach  her some manners, the world shrouded with darkness.

Luffy took a deep breath and said, "I'm sorry about what happened."

Ever since that day, he couldn't erase the look she gave him- a mixture of confusion, relief and fear.

Nami placed a hand at the back of his neck.

"I don't need an apology Luffy. The person you should be apologizing to is Bellamy."

Luffy nodded in understanding- after all he did put him in the ICU- but heard Nami click her tongue.

"I take that back. That bastard deserved it after what he did to you. If this had gone on for any longer, you would've been in his shoes right now.

Despite everything that happened, all you tried to do was help me." Her eyes lowered. "So thank you."

Nami closed the distance between them resuming the moment and Luffy embraced her breathing in her scent and exhaling what felt like a huge burden.

"I was so scared when they came to take you away. I didn't know what to do. Seriously thought that I was never going to see you again."

Luffy rubbed her back and she relaxed against him. He didn't like worrying her.