Fourteen

“So,” Hermes said, flying around her shoulder. “How was it?”

“Ugh, you’re like a gnat, buzzing around my ear! Can’t you walk?” Persephone complained, a begrudging smile on her face.

“Nope!” He said, popping the ‘p’. “Walking is boring. Only boring people walk.”

“Hermes,” She said. “You’re, like, the only one who can fly.”

“Exactly!” He cackled. “That’s why I’m the best. But you’re changing the subject. How was it?” He asked, more forcefully.

“It was fine.” Persephone said, slowly. “I slapped someone today.”

Hermes stopped short, looking at her with fascinated approval. “No way!” He crowed. “Was it Hades? Did he try something? Do you want me to kill him for you?” He asked all three questions in rapid succession.

“No, no!” She protested. “It wasn’t Hades. I don’t think he’d even touch my shoulder without asking permission. It was a man from the Fields of Punishment, Sisyphus.”

Hermes settled down onto the ground and began walking in pace with Persephone. “Ew, yeah. Definitely stay away from Sisyphus, he’s such a creep.” He suddenly realized, turning on her, almost violently. “Why did you have to slap him?” He asked sharply. “Did he do something?”

“Yes.” Persephone said shortly. “He grabbed my arm and wouldn’t let go. Hades ran forward, but I felt like Hades was fighting all my battles, so I decided that this was a battle I was going to fight myself. So, I stepped forward and slapped him, and pushed his rock down the hill so he’d have to do it again.”

Hermes pumped his fist in the air. “Yes! You’re finally breaking out of your shell!”

Persephone rolled her eyes. “Not really. He just pissed me off, is all.”

He turned on her, gasping dramatically. “And you’re swearing, too? I’m so proud.”

“Oh please,” Persephone said, turning away to hide her reluctant smile. “How much time until my mother comes home?”

“About twenty minutes. When we get to your house I’ll help make the house look like you’ve been home for four hours.”

They walked for five more minutes before Demeter’s grove came into view. Willow was sitting in the open window, twirling a dandelion between her fingers.

“About time you got home,” She remarked, looking up.

“Sorry for taking so long,” She apologized.

“Hey,” Willow shrugged. “It’s all good. As long as you had a good time, of course. Demeter’s going to be home in about fifteen minutes. And you,” She said, looking pointedly at Hermes. “Need to leave.”

Hermes opened his mouth in protest. “I—”

“Nope,” Willow cut him off, standing. “If Demeter catches you here, or even sees you leaving, it’s not going to be pretty for you or Persephone. You’d better get out of here.”

Hermes scoffed. “Fine!” He said, feigning anger. He stepped towards Persephone and gave her a tight hug. “See you later, Persephone.” He tapped his sandals together and the wings gave a little flutter, lifting him off the ground. “I’ll be in touch!” He called, giving her a wink. She chuckled and bade him farewell.

She turned back to Willow and groaned when she saw the look on her face.

“Were you two safe?” She asked, a hand on her hip.

Persephone’s mouth opened in shock. “Oh, my gods, we didn’t do that! It was a first date! Jesus Christ!”

Willow raised an eyebrow. “Wrong religion. And you, Persephone, just confessed that it was a date.” She smiled knowingly.

“How do you even know what I was doing?” Persephone asked. She was helpless to her glowering cheeks.

Willow scoffed. “Please. I’m a nymph, Persephone! I know everything that goes on this this forest. Anyway, we don’t have time for this. Demeter’s going to be home soon, and we need to make it look like you haven’t been out for the entire morning. Now, go to your room and mess everything up.” Willow ordered. “I made muffins, so you can pretend you made them while she was out.”

Persephone nodded curtly and went to her room. She got out a pen and paper and placed it carefully on her desk. She went over to her bed and messed it up, making it look like she’d been there for hours. A flash of inspiration grasped her, and she ran out into the garden, hands at the ready. She took up a limp flower in her hands and let the magic flow through her fingers. The flower grew longer and brightened, until it looked at its best.

Her mother’s chariot landed with a clunk on the ground. Persephone thought quickly and scooped up some dirt, rubbing some on her face and all over her hands. She buried her knees in the dirt, making it look like she’d been there for more than an hour.

“Kore!” She heard the piercing voice of her mother calling.

“Out here, mother!” Persephone called back, rolling her eyes.

She turned and saw her mother walking over to where she kneeled in the garden. “How was your meeting?” She asked happily, strengthening another flower.

“Oh, fine, fine!” Demeter said jovially. “Aphrodite said she’d be coming by a little later to pick some things up, and she said she’d stay for supper. She’ll be here in about fifteen minutes, so clean yourself up. My, you’re filthy! You must have been out here for a long time!”

Persephone couldn’t help the smug smile that rose up on her face. “Yes, I’ve been out here for a long while. I made muffins, they’re in the kitchen. I’m glad you’re back!” She looked back at her mother, but she was already bustling towards the house. Persephone looked into the woods, sighing. She missed him already.

She got up, brushed off the damp dirt now covering her hands and feet, and made her way into the house.

~~~~
Sorry for being so inactive. I've been busy. I'll try to update regularly now :)