fourteen

"Hey Dan can I ask you a question?" Kyle asks, listening as Dan nods his head silently. They're playing Call of Duty, and the zombies are close to getting them. It's another sunny, warm summer day, and they're sitting inside.

"Have you ever like liked someone?" Kyle doesn't know how to phrase it. He can't help but feel awkward, but he's not quite sure why.

"Like to date?" Dan's eyes leave the screen so that he can truly look at him. Fuck getting eaten by zombies.

"Well yeah. Like to date and stuff." Kyle's cheeks are burning and his heart is beating. He swears his heart is beating so loud Dan can hear it, but that's not possible.

"Yeah I guess I have." He chuckles, trying to hide what he's feeling.

Dan's dated before. He's kissed girls. He's gone on dates and danced with them at school dances. But he's never felt anything like he does now. It's always been them in love with him, and him just playing along because it was fun.

Sure he's young, but that's how things work. In fact Charlie and Ralph both make fun of him for only having two "girlfriends." He only kissed one of them, so he really only has had one.

"How did you know you liked them?" Kyle asks, watching as Dan turns to look at him.

"I uh, didn't really like either of them. In fact they were both pretty bitchy." He laughs, thinking back to Victoria and Megan.

"Why'd you date them?"

"Honestly because Charlie basically made me both times. The only way his mom would let him date was if I was also. So he basically made me get together with them. We weren't every close though, like we never even had each others snap chats." He laughs, unlocking his phone. He then opens his photos and scrolls back to the one picture him and Victoria took. She's standing next to him in a strapless turquoise dress, the top of her dress obviously stuffed with toilet paper. Her makeup is way too over the top for a junior high dance. And then there's Dan. He's in an oversized suit, grinning like there's not a care in the world.

"There's like a foot away from you two!" Kyle laughs, zooming in on the awkward gap between them.

"I'm telling you, it wasn't love!" The two laugh hard, Dan even letting go of a snort which sends both of them into deeper laughter.

But then the two grow quiet. Their bodies are close, and the air between them seems thick. All Kyle can think about are Dan's lips on his, and he hates himself for it. He knows that it'll ruin their friendship.

But he doesn't know that Dan's been waiting for a moment like this. That sometimes Dan wishes he would have the courage, but falls short every time.

Without a word Dan leans in closer to him, and feels as Kyle does the same. The boys are only inches apart now, and both are scared to death.

But Kyle leans in further and closes his eyes. He then feels a pair of soft, lips on his. It's a foreign feeling, and he's not quite sure what to do.

Dan kisses back softly, and then slowly pulling away.

The kiss is innocent. It's so different from the times Victoria would try and stick her tongue down his throat because "that's what they do in movies."

"Dan I am so sorry." Kyle's voice is high pitched, and panicked. And it hurts to think that maybe Kyle didn't mean it. But he hides the disappointment well.

"It's alright Kyle."

Hola thots. Or I guess I could say thot bc I think this book is down to one reader lol