twenty six

Dan and Kyle walk along the busy street. Their hands are connected, and both of them have smiles that can't be wiped off.

It's been nearly two weeks and Dan is finally bro grounded. The two are in downtown Portland, something that feels like a whole world away. Walking around they don't see anyone they know. No awkwardly running into teachers at the grocery store, or friends parents at restaurants.

They feel as if they are free. There's no need to be sneaking around, kissing behind houses on the way home from school.

On his first day of freedom Dan convinced his parents to drive him and Kyle downtown for the day.

"It's so beautiful." Kyle smiles, looking around at the wonderful city. Everything about it is inviting. It's so different than back home.

"Yeah it is." Dan says, watching Kyle look around in a daze. He loves stealing glances of him. Like secret little snapshots.

"You're beautiful." Dan grins, quickly kissing Kyle's cheek. Kyle turns a dark shade of crimson, watching as Dan smiles at him.

"Shut up." Kyle laughs, hating the attention. He hates how Dan loves to make him blush. It's embarrassing how every little bit of attention makes his cheeks go red and his heart beat faster.

The two walk to a breakfast restaurant nearby. Both of them order hot chocolates, neither like coffee.

And for hours they talk.

It so freeing to be in each other's company. They're both so good for each other. Dan brings out Kyle's confidence and humor while Kyle acts like an anchor. He keeps Dan grounded.

Dan bites into his crepe, hewing it slowly. Kyle watches and grins, taking a bite of his.

He can't help but smile and laugh at everything Dan says. He can't help the feeling of overwhelming happiness he feels.

The years back in London he spent friendless and lonely are completely worth it. He would do it a million times over if it meant being with Dan.

After the crepes are long gone and they've ordered another round of hot chocolate Dan pulls out his phone. He pulls up the camera, and quickly takes a picture of him and Kyle.

He grins, setting it as his wallpaper.

He wishes that whatever this is will never change. That no one will ever come between to them. Dan wants to believe that they can continue this secret relationship and keep it all to themselves.

But he knows that the time is ticking, and sooner or later people will find out. He dreads that day.

Thanks for reading!!