Sticks and Stones

*PEYTON*

Daniel and I were finishing up another one of our tutoring sessions. I felt so proud, I never knew that I could actually really help someone! Daniel was really benefitting from the sessions. He had 4 A's and 2 B's! It was the biggest improvement from the previous year that I could imagine.

Me: Hey Daniel, can I say something?

Daniel: Anything!

Me: Haha, I just wanted to say I'm so proud of you! 

Daniel: Thanks! But... *he tickled my chin* I couldn't have done it without the help of my Princess.

Me: Heehee well... ya know how i do!

All of a sudden the door bell rang. I looked at the time, and saw that it was 9:00 pm... on a Tuesday night? I wasn't expecting anyone...

Me: Umm, Diggs, I wasn't expecting anyone... can you come to the door with me?

Daniel: Of course!

He wrapped his arm around my waist, and walked me to my front door. I literally had no idea who it was. Both my siblings were at their sports practices again, my mom was out at the library reading, and my father was still at work. I wasn't expecting any of them to be home any time soon. 

I opened the door, relieved by the people I saw... it was Penny and Jacob. But they didn't look okay. Penny had a blanket wrapped around her, and Jacob had his arm tightly wrapped around her. Penny had a cut on her lip, and it was swollen really bad, while Jacob had a large cut right above his left eye.

Daniel: Yo, what happened???

Penny: Can we come in?

Me: Of course!

We all took a seat in the kitchen where me and Daniel previously were. We moved our bags and made space for our friends.

Me: So... what happened?

Penny and Jacob looked at eachother.

Penny: I'll tell it... so, after practice, I went to the locker room to shower up and everything, and during my shower, the lights went out and I was so scared, but it turned out it was just Jacob, then we was doing some stuff in the locker room blah blah blah, then the lights went out AGAIN and I got punched in the lip by some guy in a mask that looked like he was from the Purge... like what the heck? But forget me... he was after Jacob! They were fighting REALLY hard. Here... imma turn out the lights in the house just in case. 

Jacob: Yeah! I had no idea who it was, I tried to reach for the mask but he stopped me everytime. They can sure punch tho. Penny and I were on our way home, but then I remembered, yo Diggs. We are team mates and best friends. Whoever this was, could be after you too man. 

Just then the door bell rang again. No one moved, we all just stared at the door.

Daniel: I'll get it.

Jacob: Diggs, no! What did I just tell you man? Whoever this is likes to do things the second time! I shut the lights out in the locker room, this guy did the same thing. We just rang the bell and now he's doing it again! It's too dangerous. Let's just chill.

Daniel: Okay. 

We sat in the dark kitchen waiting for any sign. Any sound, any motion, any thing. Then we finally got it. 

A rock came sailing in from the window. We ducked and went under the table. I found the rock on the floor and examined it, realizing there was a note attached.

Me: Hey, hand me my phone over there...

Daniel gave it to me, and I began to read out loud.

"Dear Scrubs,

        It's so funny to see you all scared. I love the look on your faces. Who am I? Psh, I guess you know me... but at the same time, I guess you don't. Bottom line, all four of you need to watch your backs. 

From, 

Your Leader"

We all sat there in silence thinking over the note I just read, until Penny broke the silence.

Penny: Guys. I think I know who it is.