Chapter 15

A tiring week passed. You continued going on missions, while Makoto worked undercover to retrieve the Remnants of Despair. Eventually, the students of Class 78(besides Toko) set out to Jabberwock island after Makoto announced that all your upperclassmen had been found.

You watched the waves lap against the boat, listening to the gentle roar of the ocean. You sighed, leaving the railing and returning to the interior of the ship.

Byakuya and Kyoko were conversing alone when you entered.

"...won't be happy about it. He's irrational." Kyoko spoke softly.

You stood behind Byakuya. He acknowledged you and continued speaking. "He's doesn't have the privilege to decide. Mr. Tengan, I'm sure, will understand."

"What are you talking about?"

"We're just concerned about when Future Foundation discovers what we're doing." Byakuya replied.

"Oh. Well, I wouldn't be concerned about that. Mr. Tengan had a level head, and Kyoko is very convincing. It'll be fine."

Kyoko looked up. "You think?"

"Yeah." You exhaled heavily. "It'll depend on whether we can save Class 77 or not. If we fail, well...it'll be grim."

"Of course. We'll make sure that won't happen." Byakuya nodded. "Listen, we're almost at the island. When we get there, we'll be escorted to our living quarters. I want you to scout the island and search for anybody that isn't a Remnant or a Future Foundation agent. We need to make sure the place is completely empty."

"Yeah, of course."

The boat docked and Class 78 exited, spreading to where they were assigned. You started at the beach, trudging through the sand as you searched the area.

You ventured through the island, going from the beach to the cliffs to the buildings and back to the beach. Finishing your exploration, you headed back to your living area.

The area was mostly desolate, given that all the agents were busy at other areas on the island. You shared a room with Aoi, and the swimmer was found inside your cabin. You entered and spoke with her.

"What are you going to do?" You asked, sitting on the bed across from hers.

"I wasn't given an assignment, so I was thinking of heading to the ocean and swimming..."

"Yes, millions of people are dying as we speak and you wanna take a dip. What a hero you are." You said sarcastically.

"Well geez, sorry!" Aoi pouted.

You laughed. "Besides, it's probably poisoned or toxic or something."

"The whole ocean?"

"You never know."

"Well, since that's off the table, I guess I'll wander the island. You wanna come?"

"No thanks, I already have. Go have fun." You waved her away.

She left. You sighed, leaning back against the wall. Studying the pattern on the ceiling, you thought about the Remnants. Gotta wonder what's going on in that virtual world.

"Who's there?" You asked before the newcomer knocked, already aware of their presence.

They didn't respond, instead just opening the door. Byakuya stepped in, shutting the door behind him. "Hey."

"Hey." You sat up. "How's the mission going?"

"Fine." He sat on the edge of your bed. "It's tiring, but I'll manage. How about you? Are you doing alright?"