07 - What father knows

'Hello', called Aaron sheepishly from the hall. 'Can we come in?'

'Yes ... yes come in.'

The woman stood up by her chair and beckoned them in. Despite shuffling into the kitchen, the twins remained by the safety of the door. After all that had just happened in the room this was the last place the pair wanted to be, but they needed something: some answers, some comfort, some support and just somewhere to be. Ellen who was usually so strong was visibly shaken. Aaron was lost.

'No, come in. Please take a seat ... both of you.'

The woman gestured to the seats opposite her at the table and she sat down again. The twins didn't move.

'What's going on?' Ellen asked, trying to maintain some composure. 'This doesn't make any sense. Where is our Nan? She wasn't upstairs? Well ... upstairs wasn't ... you know, our upstairs ... the upstairs we expected.'

Ellen was starting to babble and the woman realised she needed to calm her down.

'Sit down, please,' she repeated. 'I can see you're frightened ... and confused. I'm sure you'd feel much better if you sat down. We won't hurt you but I think we do need to talk this through. Would you like something to drink?'

The sixteen year olds reluctantly moved over to the table, pulled back the chairs and sat down. They failed to respond to the offer of a drink. Aaron's eyes darted around the room. He was still trying to make up his mind whether it was all a prank or whether the others might take up arms once more and threaten them. His sister sat, head bowed, with her red hair falling across her face, masking her glistening eyes.

'Maude,' coughed the woman and then composing herself tried again. 'Sorry ... I'm Maude and these are my children: Keith, Billy and Marianne. What are your names?'

'I'm Aaron and this is my sister ... Ellen.'

'I thought he was Aryan,' whispered Billy, but his brother failed to react, instead maintaining a watch on the twins.

'Your sister?' quizzed Maude. 'You're brother and sister?'

'Yes ... twins actually,' confirmed Aaron.

'How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?'

'Sixteen. It was our birthday yesterday.'

'Oh Lord,' Maude gulped, thinking they were so young to be caught up in this strange situation. 'Well ... Happy birthday. You're similar in age to these two.'

Maude waved her arm between Keith and Marianne.

'I'm thirteen,' Billy called quickly.

Wanting to move on from these rather bizarre pleasantries, Aaron persisted with Ellen's questioning.

'Do you know what is happening to us, to the house, to everything?'

Ellen was still rather quiet and didn't lift her head. Maude continued.

'Helen, I really do think you should have a drink first. You'll feel better.'

'Ellen,' corrected Aaron.

'Sorry, Ellen ... are you okay? Would you like a cup of tea or a glass of water? We may still have some barley juice if Billy hasn't drunk it all. Marianne, be a dear and put the kettle on. I could do with a cuppa, even if no-one else wants one.'

Marianne picked up the kettle, gently pushed Keith a little to access the cold tap, placed the kettle on the stove and lit the ring.

'Why is this happening?' Ellen asked.