18 - Butcher's shop

With more clouds closing in from the east, the narrow streets of the old town grew darker during the summer's afternoon. The five teenagers watched Kitty as she disappeared cheerfully into a nearby shop, with Molly still attached to her belt. With the two girls out of earshot the group felt at ease to discuss the possible threat of the three men.

'Do you think they're looking for us?' questioned Ellen.

'Who?' asked Aaron.

'These men.'

Aaron looked blank.

'How many do you remember seeing?' Ellen asked Billy, giving up on her brother.

'I don't know exactly. I definitely saw three of them, but there could have been more.'

'And these guys, they're not typical? They're not the kind of people you'd usually expect to see hanging around York ... these days, in 1941?' Ellen questioned further.

'No. That's why I thought it was odd when I saw them and ... well you saw how spooked Kitty's sister was.'

'You've lost me, Ellen,' stated Aaron, looking puzzled. 'So there are some guys running around York. Why do you think it has something to do with us?'

'You're so dense,' said Ellen, concerned. 'Kitty said they were looking for a couple of children. Children who locals, like her, wouldn't know. Also Kitty mentioned about what they were wearing.'

'Who ... these men?'

'No, the children. They said children wearing unusual clothes,' said Ellen, sharply.

'All right ... give me a break.'

'So why do you think it's you they're looking for?' said Marianne.

'I don't know, but had we not met you then we'd never have been given your clothes and had our hairstyles changed à la forties style.'

Ellen went on.

'We'd still be wearing our normal clothes: hoodies, trainers, leggings ... you know ... and I'd still have bright red hair. We would have looked totally out of place.'

'Yeah, it makes sense,' said Aaron, keeping up. 'But if we are the kids they're looking for, then why? Why would anyone be looking for us? To start with no-one knows we're here, well apart from you guys and your Mum.'

'What would they want with you anyway? Unless they know that you're ...' Marianne now spoke quieter as they passed a few shops with a number of customers loitering around, '... from the future.'

'Maybe they want to help you. They know Dad's not around and maybe they can help you get home ... to your time,' said Billy, with a smile on his face like he'd just solved the mystery.

'That could be right,' said Aaron.

He turned to Ellen and suggested a plan.

'Why don't we try and find these guys and ask them what they're doing? If, like Billy says, they really are here to help us then shouldn't we let them? After all it's not like we have the faintest idea why we're here ... or how to get back again.'

'Yes I know, but it doesn't add up,' said Ellen.

She thought a little then continued as they passed a shop called Cosgrove, which she assumed was the fabric shop where Kitty's mum was.

'If they'd known we were going to end up in 1941, they wanted to help get us home and if they knew we'd be in York city centre, then how come they didn't know we'd be back at Nan's house, your house?' Ellen said, looking at Marianne.