54 - Code four

In the foyer Aaron and Brook sat by a large pot plant quietly discussing their mutual love for music. Billy stood by the large narrow windows, flanking the main doors, looking out onto Pall Mall. Suddenly something caught his eye that made him recoil.

'Oh no!' he tried to shriek quietly, but the other two and the policeman heard him.

'What is it?' said Brook, desperate to know what would make Billy move away from the door so rapidly.

'The men,' he tried to whisper. 'They're here.'

'What's that, son?' asked the policeman, whose ears had pricked up.

Brook was now at the window and watching outside as she too saw Victor, Adrianna and Sebastien on the pavement and looking like they were about to head into the very building they were inside.

'Officer ... sorry ... Constable,' she said. 'I don't know who these men are outside but we noticed them in Trafalgar Square over half an hour ago looking suspicious and we were aware that when they spoke it wasn't in English.'

'Are you certain?' asked the bobby, now on his way to the window to look for himself.

'Yes,' said Brook. 'You'll have to forgive me, but my daughter and niece are down that corridor. As a father and guardian I have to protect my family. I'm not proud to say this Constable but I'm very worried. I need to go and be with them and get them to safety.'

The policeman was torn between letting Brook and the two teenagers beyond the reception and working out how to hold his post. It was possible that the three men could enter the building and prove to be menacing and a threat to all inside.

'Yes okay then,' he reluctantly accepted. 'But please stop at the first reception desk on the left and tell Madge that PC Quinn has requested a code four and to be on standby for a code five. Got that ... a code four?'

'Will do ... thank you,' said Brook, as together with Aaron and Billy they made a hasty left from the foyer.

Ellen and Marianne were aware of the sound of hurried feet behind them along the corridor and were startled to see their three companions talking to the woman at the first desk and then heading their way.

Harriet March had returned at the same moment with the results of her findings.

'Again, sorry for the delay, but I have spoken with a couple of my colleagues who have been posted in Norwich House the longest and they are not aware of a Major Willis or any Willis for that matter. I also consulted the building's personnel directory and that confirms my colleagues' statements. I'm sorry that is not what you were hoping for, but really I can't see what more I can do to assist you in this matter.'

'Okay,' said Ellen, distracted by the sight of the others coming towards them. 'Thank you for taking the time to look for us.'

'What are you doing here?' Marianne asked Brook when they reached the two girls.

Brook tried to not be too alarming, but spoke quietly.

'They're here. They're at the main entrance.'

'Who?' asked Ellen, then realising what could be so bad that would cause the three of them to not wait in the foyer. 'Not Victor and the other two?'

'Yes,' said Brook, scouting the corridor for alternative ways out. 'We've got to get out of here pretty quickly. Look ... there's a door at the far end of the corridor. Let's go.'

Harriet was not happy with the three men joining the two young women, she knew as Victoria and Elizabeth, but less than pleased that they should leave by an unauthorised exit. She was about to remind them of the correct direction to leave when a shout came from mid-way along the corridor.