35 - Importance of seeing Earnest

'Here we are!' beamed Billy excitedly.

They stood before the middle property of a row of terrace houses. Each one had a waist-high wall against the pavement and a tiny yard three or four paces from the front door. Some of the neighbouring houses had made a small attempt to brighten up the rather drab fronts with flower pots and window boxes. Not this house. The kerb appeal of Uncle Earnest's house was nothing more than a concrete floor and a single wooden dining chair, in white and red paint, that had weathered badly from its permanent position outdoors. Ellen assumed he must sit on this chair quite often and observe the locals passing by and watch over the park on the opposite side of the road. Now she thought about it the park was the very one she and Aaron loved to visit when they were much younger. The place where they would run around on the grass and spend hours on the small playground in the corner.

Marianne opened the rusty gate and she and Billy approached the front door giving it a quick couple of knocks

Marianne opened the rusty gate and she and Billy approached the front door giving it a quick couple of knocks. Almost too quickly the door opened. Marianne wondered whether someone had been hiding behind it waiting, ready to catch them.

'See yer,' shouted a man, as he swung the door open wide.

Marianne was surprised and took a couple of steps backwards.

'Blimey,' Aaron said to Ellen, who had both remained on the pavement. 'He's not what I was expecting.'

All four of them were surprised to see a tall man with a face as black as night, which contrasted with the whites of his eyes. He was much younger than Ellen had expected. Not to mention much darker in his skin tone.

'Oh!' he said, just as surprised to see the teenagers standing before him as they were to see him.

Marianne was unsure what to say and so just muttered something unintelligible.

The man leant back in the house and shouted to someone behind him.

'Hey Charlie. There are children out here. Do you want me to send them packing?'

From behind him Ellen could hear the fainter sound of another man replying. An older man. Apparently called Charlie.

'Blasted kids. Wish they'd leave me alone. Tell them to bugger off.'

The man in the doorway turned back to face them again.

'He says to clear off. Go on ... leg it!'

'Errr,' said Marianne, trying to formulate what to say. 'Uncle Earnest?'

The black-faced man leant back into the house and relayed the message.

'Hey Charlie ... is your name Earnest?'

'Who wants to know?' came the reply.

'Well,' said the man in the doorway, 'the fact she called you Uncle I'm guessin' your Niece.'