13 - Relatively close to home

Ellen's spirits were raised to hear there may be a way to get home.

'Who's Uncle Earnest?' she asked.

'He's Reg's uncle, but I think he knows something that will help you,' said Maude. 'Billy mentioned people from space earlier and I suddenly remembered something odd that I'd heard years ago. I just couldn't remember where from or the connection, until I was upstairs just now. It was Uncle Earnest. Once or twice he spoke of men from space. He was always muttering and rambling about odd things, which I largely ignored because I thought he was destined for the funny farm. Reg was more tolerant and said to not be so quick to judge Earnest and now I know why. He clearly knew something. If Earnest knows what Reg does, then he'll know you were coming and no doubt how to get you home again.'

'So we have two choices, wait for your husband to come home or go and see Earnest ... right?' said Ellen.

'Basically, but unless you want to wait for the war to end, it might be quicker to visit Uncle Earnest.'

'Cool, let's go now?' said Aaron.

Billy was tucked behind the door and piped up in jest.

'You'll be lucky. He lives miles away. You won't get there today.'

'He doesn't live in York?' asked Ellen, directing her question to Maude.

'Oh no, dear. He lives near Nottingham in a town called Beeston.'

Aaron looked at Ellen and Ellen mirrored his expression. Maude was surprised by their reaction.

'What's wrong?'

'That's where we live,' declared Aaron.

'What, Nottingham ... you're from Nottingham?'

'No, Beeston. What are the chances of that?'

'Well you'll never believe this,' said Marianne. 'We've only been living here in Osbaldwick, for the last five years. Before that we lived not far from Beeston, in Long Eaton ... do you know it? That's where we all grew up and where most of our family still live.'

'Oh this is too weird. To think that not only do we all come from the same neck of the woods but you share the same house as our grandmother,' said Ellen. 'That is too much of a coincidence.'

'Fate, I'd call it,' said Marianne.

Aaron thought deeply.

'With so much in common, it must have been the reason why we were brought to you.'

'That does sound plausible,' said Maude. 'Anyway if you want to see Earnest we'd better get you two straightened out.'

Maude gave the twins a quick glance and made to leave the room.

'What do you mean?' Ellen asked.

'Well you can't go out looking like ... well like you do.'

Aaron looked down at his clothing and then at Ellen.

'You'll stick out like a sore thumb in those clothes and we really need to do something with your hair,' said Maude, pointing at the bright red mop on Ellen's head.

Copyright © Dean Constable 2016