20 - The decoy

The debacle at the butcher's had delayed them such that they reached the station with only ten minutes before the south-bound train's departure. Their train had just arrived on platform two and passengers where disembarking, whilst on the other platform a dirty grey train was preparing to leave in the other direction.

As they descended the wrought iron staircase to the platform, Ellen looked over to Marianne and smiled awkwardly.

'I'm really sorry about what happened to you back there.'

Marianne sheepishly half smiled back but didn't say anything. She was still very upset and frightened.

'I, we ... we'd understand if you want to stay here and not come with us,' said Ellen.

'No, I'll come. Mum asked me to travel with you and Uncle Earnest would send you packing without me there. Besides we'll need to get our clothes back again. I love that dress.'

The first carriage was filling quickly so they walked to the second, opened the outward-swinging door and uncomfortably attempted to say their farewells.

Before Aaron could shake Keith's generous-sized hand, Billy squealed and pointed back towards the iron staircase. They all looked to see what alarmed him. Adrianna, in her long pale-blue coat, was tromping down the stairs. She had her head turned slightly to the side, talking to the other two who were quite close behind.

'Get on the train,' said Keith, impatiently. 'Everybody, do it now.'

Stumbling a little because of the suitcase, they all managed to board the carriage and close the door without being seen. Using the curtains and the dull lighting behind the door, Keith was able to keep a look out from the shadows, whilst the other four kept low and out of sight.

Adrianna, the ginger-bearded man and Victor, who was still limping, pushed through the passengers on the platform. They walked the full length of the train looking through the windows for any signs of the children.

'We've still got eight minutes,' whispered a fractious Marianne, staring at her wristwatch.

'They're a couple of carriages further along,' said Keith, who was now finding the angle a little difficult to see down the platform.

Aaron was squatting on the floor but craning his neck to see through the windows further along the carriage's narrow corridor.

'Do you think we should get off and hide somewhere? They're bound to get on and check every carriage. If we get off then they won't find us, so they'll have to give up and leave the train. We can then sneak back on just before it pulls out of the station.'

He was looking for someone to agree with his idea or come up with an alternative but the others just looked scared and flustered.

'We've got to do something. We've only got eight minutes,' he continued. 'We need to be on this train when it leaves and they don't.'

'I've got an idea,' muttered Keith, still facing the window. He turned to Ellen and Aaron. 'Best of luck. I hope you make it home.'

He then rested his hand on Marianne's shoulder and tried to reassure her, as he could see that she was worried about what he had in mind.

'Everyone stay out of sight. I'll lure them away and then Billy you can get off. Look after yourself kiddo,' Keith said to Marianne, with a smile.

He flung open the door, jumped out and ran along the platform in the opposite direction from the assailants. Whilst doing so he shouted towards the grey train on the other side of the platform.