26 - Stranger before Trinity

Nottingham, 5th August 1941

'Look ... a car,' said Aaron, as they stepped out of the station.

'Shush,' said Ellen. 'Don't make it so obvious. There are people about.'

'But don't you realise that's the first car we've seen?'

They walked along the pavement watching the solitary car casually roll away from them. When Aaron turned he was surprised to see that the building they had just emerged from was not the train station they expected to see.

'It's the clock tower. The Victoria Centre clock tower.'

'What is so strange about that?' asked Marianne.

'But it's a train station,' spluttered Aaron. 'I had no idea there was a train station here.'

Billy couldn't imagine anything being there but the railway station.

'Were you expecting to get off at the other station? The one on the south side of town? The Nottingham Midland Station,' asked Marianne.

'There's more than one?' said Aaron.

'I guess this isn't a station in 2014. So what is it in your time?'

'Shops,' said Ellen. 'This is the Victoria Shopping Centre. All the way from up there to down there is a massive shopping centre and above it is a really tall block of flats. The only things that are left from what is here now are the Victoria Hotel, next door and this clock tower. Everything else is just shops.'

'Victoria Shopping Centre?' said Marianne. 'This is called the Victoria Railway Station. I wager that's no coincidence.'

The twins stood speechless before this enormous Renaissance building in glorious red sandstone. Standing proud and tall in the middle of the facade was the clock tower. It reminded Ellen of a smaller and colourful version of the Houses of Parliament.

Forgetting herself Ellen whipped out her Ivory-C and took a photo of the station.

'Ellen! Put it away,' insisted her brother.

Ellen realised she was putting them at risk by using a strange-looking device in public, so quickly put the camera back into the gas mask box.

'Sorry,' she said. 'It is just so amazing. I really can't believe that not only did they close this station, but they also pulled it down.'

She casually waved her hand in the direction of the station building.

'And replaced it with ... well with what they did. Everyone over a certain age loves a bit of nostalgia or wanting retro this and retro that. Yet when we had old things we simply destroyed them. It is such a shame. Such a shame.'