29 - The guardian olive

'I've said it before and I'll say it again. We were so lucky to have seen that,' said Marianne.

'We were,' said Ellen. 'What I can't believe is that we've not only seen the golden anniversary celebrations ... of its bronze brother, but we've now witnessed the unveiling of the original wooden version. I never knew there was a wooden one.'

Billy's furrowed brow suggested something didn't compute, but before he could mull it over further he was startled by a noise from behind him.

A woman on a bicycle, dinging her bell, trundled over the cobbles down the sloping road and Billy jumped to one side to allow her to pass. He was relieved it was just a woman and not the strange man as he had feared.

'Oh no!' said Aaron. 'Has anyone got the suitcase?'

He looked quickly at the others. Hoping that one of them would have picked it up after he put it down to clap earlier.

'Oh you haven't, Aaron,' said Ellen. 'We can't lose that. It's got our clothes in it.'

'Besides it's my parents' suitcase. They've only got two. Mum will kill me if I don't return it,' said Marianne.

'You were supposed to be looking after it. You're going to have to go back into that mob and find it,' insisted Ellen. 'I just hope it's still there.'

'I'm not going back in there,' said Aaron. 'What if he's realised we've moved on and is heading this way? I don't want to bump into him.'

'Quite!' said Marianne, who was annoyed he'd lost their property. 'So you'll have to be quick and you'll have to make sure you find it.'

'It can't be hard,' said Billy, who was the only one acutely aware of where they had been standing. Still he was not wishing to volunteer to retrieve the case himself. 'We were about six of seven rows in and dead centre to the stage.'

'Okay ... wish me luck.'

'Just go,' said an impatient Ellen. 'We'll wait for you here. Well maybe not. It's out in the open. Should that man come out around the back of the crowd he'll see us here.'

She looked to the buildings on the other side of the road from the castle walls.

'We'll be over there. Behind that house with the Tudor beams.'

Reluctantly Aaron left the others and stormed off up the hill to the huge crowd who were still singing along to Land of Hope and Glory

'Excuse me,' he said, as he squeezed past one woman.

'Sorry,' he said to someone else.

He wove his way back through the people trying to gauge where the sixth row from the back was. All the time he was apologising for pushing past people, treading on their toes or just being in their way.