23 - Dark mirror

The door to the narrow corridor slid open and the guard bound into the compartment. He was clearly in a better mood now the air-raid was long gone.

'Tickets please!' he puffed.

Twenty minutes or more had passed since the train had left the tunnel and there were now several miles between them and York. Marianne was reminded of her previous discussion with the guard about getting Billy off the train.

'Excuse me. If you remember, I told you about my brother not meaning to be here. He should have stayed on the platform and been on his way home by now. Before ... you said not to worry and that you'd make that happen,' said Marianne, inquisitively.

'Did I? Oh ... yes, so I did,' said the man. 'What we can do is to let you off at the next stop, young man. We'll then issue you with a note so you can take the next train back to York. Don't worry, because you were forced on to this train against your will and in an unexpected circumstance, you will not be charged for this journey or the return to York.'

Billy seemed okay with that but Marianne was a little unsure as it still would mean he'd be later reaching home than her mother would expect.

'Where is the next stop?' she said.

'That will be Doncaster,' replied the guard.

'Doncaster?' said Marianne. 'That's miles away. Isn't it?'

'That's ... half way to Nottingham,' said Aaron.

'That would be right,' said the guard. 'It is the only stop between York and Nottingham.'

Ellen spotted that Marianne was getting flustered so stepped in.

'If he gets off at Doncaster then when would he be able to catch the next train back to York?'

She looked at Marianne.

'Well it's the only option we have.'

After consulting a number of official documents, produced from his jacket pocket, the guard announced unfavourable news.

'I'm afraid there wouldn't be another train bound for York until just after midday tomorrow.'

'No way!' said Ellen.

Marianne was speechless.

'Seriously!' said Aaron. 'A thirteen-year-old boy gets kidnapped by a train and is then dumped without money on a station platform for almost 24 hours. That's not right.'

'Son, I don't appreciate the tone of your voice,' the guard said to Aaron. 'I realise it is not ideal but we are where we are ... quite literally.'

'Too right,' said Ellen. 'Clearly he can't spend the night in Doncaster. We have no choice. He'll have to come to Nottingham with us. Can you arrange for a message to get to his mother?'

Despite the pressure he was facing, from the other members of the compartment, the guard thought hard about how to alleviate the situation.

'I'll post a message at the next signal box and then another when we reach Doncaster. Hopefully between one of them they will be able to wire a message back to York station, which can then be passed on to your mother. It is the best I can do. Would you be happy with that?'

'We have no other choice,' said Marianne. 'My mother will be worried sick though.'

'I know,' said the guard. 'I'll obviously not charge your brother for the trip. However, I cannot guarantee that he won't be charged for the return. Even with a note.'

Billy finally got his chance to speak.

'Not to worry. I have this with me.'

He pulled out his ten-trip ticket from his pocket.