31 - Vestibule blues

The newspaper seller's advice was worth all the money that the Council should have been paying her. The train to Derby was running to time and left the Nottingham Midland Station at six precisely, just as she had said.

Unlike the York train, this didn't have the anonymity of compartments within the carriages. The carriage was set out in groups of four seats on either side of an open plan aisle and separating each bank of four were thin partitions.

The teenagers knew that, as long as they kept their voices down, the two people seated on the other side of the aisle would not be able to hear them. It did, however, mean there would be no further opportunities for Ellen to show Marianne the other features of her Ivory-C. Ordinarily Marianne would have been interested to see what else the slim rectangle was capable of, but she was more concerned with her brother's downturn in spirit.

Billy had been beside himself with excitement when his involvement in the twin's mission was extended. But since the Old Market Square he had not only lost his enthusiasm; he had practically not spoken. Since they left the newspaper stall he had not uttered one word on the walk to the station. His best was to mumble nothing more than "yes" on the platform when Marianne asked him if he was all right.

'What's up?' said Marianne quietly, leaning across to Billy.

'Nothing,' he muttered and attempted to ignore her, looking past Aaron and out of the window.

Marianne looked down the aisle behind her. The vestibule was empty and closed off from the carriage by a door.

'Hey, come with me ... please.'

Billy frowned but obliged.

'Excuse us for a minute,' she said to the twins.

The siblings made for the end of the carriage and tucked themselves into the furthest corner. Billy knew what was coming, so sank to the floor and leant against the side of the carriage. Marianne followed and squatted next to him.

'I won't accept you saying "nothing" again. So what is it? You've not been yourself since we've been back in Nottingham. Is it those people chasing us?'

'No ... it's not them.'

'It is scary being chased by all of these strange people. I know that. It's not something we're used to. I understand if they've frightened you.'

Billy didn't want to open up but knew it would only be a matter of time before his sister would coax his concerns out of him.

'It's the future,' said Billy, in a tone that suggested he felt foolish for saying it.

'The future?'

'I'm worried about what's going to happen. They've said so many things that sound, well ... awful.'

'Yes. I'd agree. But on the other hand they've also shown us and told us about so many wonderful and amazing things. Some of it sounds thrilling. Exciting.'

'I guess,' accepted Billy. 'But it's not that. It's not those things. Or the station or church being knocked down. It's about the war.'

'Hang on Billy. We've agreed on this,' said Marianne, firmly. 'Besides I don't think they've said anything about the war. To be honest they seem clueless about it. This war can't be a big thing for them.'

'I know we agreed not to ask them about the war. I'm not stupid. I know that's what Mum wanted. But what's to say they hadn't made a similar agreement? Not to tell us.'

'As I said, they have not mentioned anything about this war,' said Marianne. 'So what is it that's worrying you?'

'The Germans! What if they win? If they take over!' whispered Billy in the most animated manner he could without drawing attention to himself.