64 - The Order of St George

Adrianna rushed over to the small altar at the end of the Chapel of St Michael. The table had a plush red cloth covering it and a brass cross standing in the centre. The cloth was cut to fit perfectly over the altar table, such that it was long enough to touch the floor on all sides. However, it was skewwhiff on one side, with something small protruding. It was a shoe, belonging to a foot.

Adrianna bent down, grappled the foot and yanked the six-year-old out from under the table. Wilf let out a howl and was dragged across the floor. The Enforcer wrestled with him and pulled him to her chest. She tried to hold him whilst he struggled wildly.

Before she was able to calm Wilf, and question him about the whereabouts of the others, his brother had exited from under the altar and vaulted onto Adrianna's shoulders. Thomas had one arm tightly under the woman's chin, almost choking her, and the other still clasping his treasured cornet.

Thomas demanded that Adrianna should free his brother. Wilf screamed to be released and thrashed about within her tight grip. All Adrianna could do, besides clutching onto Wilf, was shout for help from her colleagues. She found it hard to call for assistance because she was being whacked by the boy on her back, who was now using his cornet as a club.

Both Aaron and Ellen witnessed the whole debacle from behind their respective hiding places, separated by a couple of metres. Luckily for Adrianna backup arrived. Victor, surprised by the commotion, assisted by prising Thomas from her back. Or at least attempting to.

The sight of Victor's arrival, in the room opposite, caused the twins to take cover once more. In unison they quickly turned and leant backwards. Ellen felt the solid protection of the oak lectern, she was hiding behind, and closed her eyes as she tried to handle her frenetic breathing. Likewise, Aaron, leant back against the object he was hiding behind. What surprised him was that whatever was beneath the green throw was not solid. He started to topple backwards for a further foot, gathering the material as he reclined until he reached solidity. Confused by the dimensions of the unit, he turned around and onto his knees to investigate further. Lifting the ornate green throw he discovered the unit was on brass castors and had several brass foot pedals in the centre. Lifting the material higher, he found the protruding element was actually a double keyboard. The unit was an organ.

Aaron peeked around the side of the unit to see that Victor and Adrianna still had their hands full. Aaron was glad of Thomas and Wilf's distraction. Quietly and slowly, he lifted the cover further to find a small brass plaque screwed to the body just above the upper keyboard and below a complement of shiny brass pipes. The lighting in the Chapel of St George was not adequate, but with a bit of squinting Aaron could just about read the plaque and in doing so he recoiled.

He couldn't believe it, as a result of a simple left-right error, they had found the final piece of the puzzle. Here was the memory gateway. This was the actual organ they needed, not the Grand Organ out there in the main cathedral, but this was it. It even bore the name of Willis.

With the Enforcers a stone's throw away, Aaron desperately tried to get Ellen's attention. He wanted to tell his sister of his discovery, so softly called her name a few times. He overcame the first hurdle. She looked his way. The problem was that she didn't understand why he was so excited. Cautiously he got to his feet and slowly lifted the throw, to prove to her, that the unit was an organ and pointed vigorously towards the pipes.

Aaron's focus was so much on Ellen understanding what was before him that he failed to prevent the ornate throw from slipping off the back of the organ. The dense material crumpled to the floor taking with it a candle stick and some sheet music that had previously stood on top of the organ's casing. Victor heard the crashing noise, amid the shouts and screams from the Chapel of St Michael, which coincided with Sebastien's arrival.

Seeing her chance, Ellen cagily slid across the gap between the lectern and the organ, trying to join her brother by stealth. Victor was not to be fooled, he hadn't been sure where the crashing noise had come from, but he couldn't fail to see the serpent-like figure of a teenage girl slithering across the room opposite.

'There!' Victor shouted, pointing in Ellen's direction.

Sebastien stopped aiding Adrianna with the troublesome duo, much to her displeasure, and turned to consider Victor's shout.

'Give me your hand,' shouted Aaron, in panic. He was half looking past the organ, in the direction of the Enforcers, and half studying the pipes for the markings of the notes.

'Where are you? Which ones make the C major scale?'

'Ellen!'

'Ellen!' repeated Marianne, from the far side of the chapel.

Ellen looked up to see Marianne holding aloft the gas mask box that she had spent the last two days wearing around her neck. She indicated that indeed she wanted the Ivory-C and Marianne understood without hesitation.

Marianne quickly opened the box and slid the MP3 player across the floor as hard as she could.

It stopped near Ellen's foot, but out of reach. Aaron's tugs on Ellen's hand suggested he was frantically touching as many of the brass pipes as he could. The only way to grab the Ivory-C, with her free hand, was to let go of Aaron. Ellen couldn't take that chance so tried to scoop up the device with her foot, drawing it nearer and into reach. But a dark cloud descended upon her before she could reclaim it.

Looking up in terror, Ellen watched as Sebastien rapidly charged in her direction. His sole intention was to split the twins apart and keep them a distance from each other. What he had not banked on, was the action of the Grandfather of the two sixteen-year-olds. Billy had done it before and was about to try his luck again. He flung his gas mask box across the chapel and into the path of this monster of a man, unsure what damage it would inflict this time.

Once more Lady Luck was on Billy's side, as the rope of the box coiled itself around Sebastien's legs, causing him to stumble. The ginger-bearded man failed to put his leading leg forward and his momentum left him unbalanced and unable to do more than be flung the last few feet.

Sebastien barely brushed Ellen as he continued past her, smashing into the far wall. But not before his trailing foot caught Ellen's arm and viciously whipped her round. She could no longer feel the Ivory-C at her finger tips and her grip on Aaron's hand loosened. She was wrenched away from her brother and fell backwards hitting her head on the floor.

Everything went grey.

Everything became blurred.

Sounds were muffled and then there was silence.

She lost the battle to keep her eyes open.

'Ellen! Ellen!'

'ELLEN!'

Copyright © Dean Constable 2016