♥-chapter five-♥

Three weeks into the semester and high school had proved to be mostly fun, apart from that weird feeling left over Harry's warning. What was that boy on? And what did he think he'd seen? How could it possibly have anything to do with me not going out after dark? The last thing I needed was some bad boy to take an unhealthy interest in me.

I tried to shrug it off and ignore it.

'Activities day next week - Juniors can go rafting,' David told me one Friday afternoon as he walked me home. He was on his way to fix his grandmother's lawnmower for her. 'Wanna come?'

'I dunno,' I mumbled, 'never really been interested in rafting.'

'It's good to try new things, Ken,' said David with a grin. 'C'mon - I'm going as well.'

I sighed. 'Fine. This rafting - have they got a beginner's level?'

'Nope, gonna send you down the trickest run with no life jacket and no life guard.' He laughed at my expression. 'Course they have, you muppet. You'll love it.'

I could do this: start small, graduate to hero status once I'd got the hang of it. 'OK. Do I need a special kit?'

David shook his head. 'No, just wear some old clothes. Kenzie, I don't suppose you''d ask Lisa if she'd like to come in our group?'

My suspicions were instantly alerted. 'Why don't you ask her yourself?'

'She'll think I'm coming onto her.'

I smiled. 'Aren't you?'

He rubbed the back of his neck in an embarrassed gesture. 

'Yeah, but I don't want her to know it yet.'

                                                                ***

The day of the rafting trip and the weather looked really cloudy, the mountains sullen grey and breeze stiff. There was a definite chill in the air and a few spots of rain. I'd decided to put on a thicker hoodie after checking the weather report.

When we arrived, we were given all sorts of things to shove on: helmets, waterproof shoes, and life jackets. We then gathered on the bank to listen to a briefing given by a stern-faced man wth long dark hair.

'Great,' whispered Lisa. 'We've got Mr Styles - Harry and Niall's father. He's the best. Totally rocks the waves.'

I couldn't pay attention, my eagerness to launch myself out on the rapids dwindling now I actually faced the turbulent river.

Hearing our murmured discussion, Mr Styles gave us both a keen look and a sudden glimpse of colours surrounding him - silvery, like the sun on the snowy peaks. 

Not again, I thought, feeling that strange sense of dizziness. I refused to see colours - I wasn't letting them back in. I closed my eyes and swollowed, snapping the contact.

'Ladies,' Mr Styles said in a soft voice that still managed to carry over the voice of the water, 'if you'd please listen. I'm running over vital safety protocals.

Lisa and I both did as we were told and finally, Mr Styles finished his lecture. Then his gaze was focused at something in the distance of the water. All our eyes followed.

I could just make out a series of striped poles suspended over the channel. Three red kayaks were racing down the rapids. It was impossible to tell who was in each boat but they were evidently skilled. One shot through the front of the trio. He seemed to have an edge of the others, able to aticipate the next churn of the water, the next flip of current, a fraction ahead of time. He passed under the red and white finish post and punched the air with his saddle, laughing at his brothers lagging behind.