♥-chapter ten-♥

We had our first light fall of snow in mid-October.

The Wrickenridge High gossip machine was working overtime on the Harry Styles/Kenzie McIntyre saga. I was determined it was just 'going out'; Harry had his protect-Kenzie-and-be-her-soulfinder agenda but I refused to discuss either with him - all of which made for a stormy time. But with a boy like Harry, what was I to expect? A relationship with him was never going to run smoothly - I knew that from the start, everyone knew that from the start.

Lisa dropped me at the corner of my street. She'd been giving me grief about Harry, not believing me when I told her he'd been unfailingly kind to me since he'd decided to turn over a new leaf.

'He doesn't just kiss you on the doorstep and leave - he's not the boy-next-door type,' she insisted.

'Well, he did.' I was getting annoyed with her now. 'He's much nicer than he seems.'

'Yeah, only because he wants you.'

I fisted my hand in my air, giving it a sharp tug - an alternative to screaming. Everyone - from students to teachers - were predicting some sort of disaster to come from my relationship with Harry. They all had him down at the villian. After I'd sorted things out with David, he'd agreed to leave Harry alone before muttering warning words about what he'd do to Harry if things went wrong. 

In the end, I blocked everyone out, including Lisa.

                                                                ***

Later that evening, I decided to pull out my revision books the school had given me. I laid on my bed with them in front on me, reading over things I didn't understand so well while munching on one of the brownies Mrs Bailey had baked.

Kenzie, are you OK?

After weeks of resisting, I'd finally had to admit I could hear him in my head. 

Harry? I looked out of my window half-expecting him to be there. Where are you?

At home. Do you want to come over?

I was confused. How are you ...? No, wait: how are we talking like this, so far apart?

We just can. Do you want to come?

A choice between sitting at home on my own or braving Harry's family?

Mom's in Denver. Niall's at some Young Einstein of the year convention. It's just me, Dad, and Liam.

OK, I'll come over. You're up by the cable car, right? I think I can find you. I went downstairs in a hurry, tugging my jacket off the hook.

No! I don't want you out alone - it's getting dark. I'll come get you.

I'm not afraid of the dark, Harry.

I am. Humour me.

He shut the conversation off. I sat at the bottom of the stairs and massaged my temples. It seemed more difficult to talk to Harry with my mind, especially from a great distance, more tiring somehow. Another thing I need to talk to him about.

I heard the jeep ten minutes later. Slinging my jacket on and grabbing my keys, I ran out of the house. 

'You must have broken every traffic law to get here so fast!'

He gave me a smooth smile. 'I was already on my way when I called in.'

'You think that's calling in?' I climbed into the passenger seat and we heading off back into town. 'You could've used a mobile phone like other people.'