♥-chapter six-♥

I spent the evening and much of the night pondering Lisa's warning. Harry was too much for me to handle. Leave the Wolfman to chew on his own resentments. 

I had to be the prize idiot for obsessing about hearing Harry's voice whenever I'm in danger. I needed to get a grip and leave the whole Harry thing well alone.

My good intentions were still intact at I crossed the school car park with Lisa the next morning, that was until I saw the look I got from Harry. He was standing with the other boys by the motorbikes, arms folded, scanning the crowds entering the building. When he saw me arrive, he took one long examination and then, as if deciding I didn't measure up, dismissed me.

'Ignore him,' murmured Lisa, seeing the exchange.

How could I? I wanted to go over there and slap him, but. let's be honest here, I'm the kind of person to have the guts to make a scene like that. I was sure I'd get half way then bottle it. So I promised myself to leave it alone.

Go on, my anger told me, girl or mouse?

Mouse everytime.

Everytime but this. There was something about Harry Styles that was like a match to my fuse and I was fizzing up to the point of explosion. 

'Excuse me for a moment, Lisa.'

Before I knew it, I had changed direction, making my way towards him. Heads began to swell towards me when they realised who I was charging at.

'Just what is your problem?' 

Woah - I, Kenzie McIntyre, had just said that?

'What?' Harry asked. He dug into his pocket and pulled out his shades and putting them on so I was now looking at myself in double in the reflection. The four other boys were smirking at me, waiting for Harry to slap me down.

I rolled my eyes. 'I almost drowned yesterday, thanks to you, and you made it sound like it was all my fault.'

He stared at me silently, an intimidating tactic that almost worked. 

'You were more to blame than I was for what happened on the raft,' I said through gritted teeth.

'I was to blame?' His tone was marvelling that someone dare address him like this to his face.

'I knew nothing about rafting - you were the expert - go figure out who was the most in the wrong.'

'Who's the angry chick, Harry?' asked one of his friends.

Harry shrugged. 'No-one.'

I felt the punch - and it hurt. 'I'm not "no-one". At least I'm not an arrogant pain-in-the-arse with a permanant sneer.'

Kenzie, shut up! Right now! 

'Harry, she got you nailed,' said the one with slicked-back red hair, looking at me with a new interest. 

'Yeah, she's something else.' Harry shrugged, nodding his head in the direction of the building. 'Run along, BoPeep.'

Mustering all the dignity I could, I clutched my books to my chest and strode into school, Lisa at my side.

                                                                ***

'We all have to show up and play soccer, boys and girls?' I asked Lisa, horrified by the notion.

On the last Friday in September, I recieved some unwelcoming news from Lisa on our way home from school while sat in her car. Back in England, football - or soccer, as they call it in America - was never a strong sport for me. My friends used to play, but I'd always watch.