♥-chapter eighteen-♥

Over the next few hours, or whenever I gained consciousness, I fel as if I had glass splinters burrowing into my brain. I had the impression of several sessions of Daniel Kane's dark eyes burning into my mind, my head held ragid at his grip. Sometimes Chris was there too, drinking in the backwash of my distress, making everything much worse. Kane seemed angry that I was still resisting but eventually I was so confused that my mind was screaming for me to take the easy way out and agree with what he was insisting as the truth.

'Tell me again what happened, Kenzie,' he ordered me for what seemed like the hundredth time. 

'You ... you save me,' Images of him sweeping into hospital to offer comfort after the bloodbath in the warehouse flicked before my eyes. He'd come to my parents' rescue, found us a private room, paid for the accomodation. Been so kind to the poor English family he'd heard about on the news.

'That's right,' said Kane. 'And who took you from the streets?'

'The Styles - Harry and Liam. They're sick and evil.' No - yes. I didn't know. 'I want to go hme.'

'No you don't. You want to stay here in Vegas, where you feel safe.'

An image forced its way into my head: me in a room with strong doors and barred windows where no-one could reach me.

'I feel safe.'

'With the people who has helped you. Chris has been so kind.'

'Kind. Gator's been kind. He brought me breakfast. Asked that not be hurt.' My voice sounded everything other than myself.

'Not Gator. My son, Chris. He's going to help you heal.'

'He is?' I asked.

'Yes. He's going to take all your nasty emotions away.'

I nodded. That sounded good. I didn't want to feel anything anymore.

Maria came into the room with Gator and O'Nate behind her. 'Is she ready? It's taking too long. The Styles are already in town and that silmeball Ethan Styles has applied for a warrant to search our properties.'

Daniel Kane pinched my chin. 'Yes, I think she's ready. A little confusion will make it all that more convincing. Get her into position then send a message to the Styles that they can find her in the warehouse on the old artfield. The two boys have to come alone or the deal's off.'

'They won't come alone - the rest won't let them.'

'They will try and make it look like they were alone and that'll be enough. The others will be too far away to stop what's going to happen. We'll alert the police ourselves.'

I held my hand. This didn't make sense. It had already taken place, hadn't it? I'd been in the warehouse - knew who got shot. There was blood on my hands.

Maria smiled. 'Our little savant is having a hard time trying to get her facts straight.'

'She'll be all right. All she needs to do is sit there with a gun in her hands while the FBI and the police argue about why it all went down so badly. O'Nate, you've got a damper on telepathy?'

He nodded. 'It'll hold for now. But only until she gets close to one of them, then she's able to contact their minds.'

'Make sure you take them out siftly. Dump the gun in her hands before the police and FBI arrive. I want them wondering what the hell happened.'

'Sure, boss.'

Kane cracked his knuckles. 'After today, those Styles will know that no-one interferes with the Kanes and gets away with it. Killing Harry and Liam are going to make up for my brothers being inside. Now, Kenzie, this is goodbye until we meet for the first time in hospital.'