♥-chapter twenty-one-♥

The next morning.

I came down to the kitchen wearing clothes much too big for me, jeans and shirt sleeves rolled up, a pair of Harry's woolly socks on my feet instead of slippers. I could get used to the feeling of Harry's clothes.

There stood my parents talking to Des and Anne. I was getting used to seeing my parents regard me with that shocked, disappointed expression, the one where I knew i'd let them down but they were too scared to tell me off in case I collapsed on them. 

'Hi, love, ready to come home?' asked Dean, a little impatiently, jingling the car keys in his palm.

Harry calm up behind me and gave me an encouraging kiss on the cheek with his hands holding my waist. 

'I'd like to stay for a while, please. I think they can help me.' I reached for Harry's hand behind my back.

Debbie touched the base of her throat. 'For how long, dear?'

I shrugged. I hated hurting them. 'Until I know if this is going to work.'

Anne smiled when she looked at me. 'I honestly think we can help, Kenzie, Debbie. Please trust us. We're just a short drive away. You'll be able to reach us within five minutes if you're worried about her.'

'Hon, are you sure?' asked Dean.

'I'm sure.'

'But darling,' said Debbie, 'what can they do for you that we can't?'

'I don't know. It just feels right.'

She hugged me tight. 'If this is what you want, we'll try it. You've got your boy to take care of you then?'

I smiled. 'Yes, I have.'

Debbie nodded. 'I can see that. If this doesn't work, don't worry. We'll try something else and keep going until we solve this.'

'Thanks.'

My parents hesitated but headed back home leaving me with all nine Styles. 

'I like your parents,' said Harry in a low voice, putting a comforting arm round me. 'They keep fighting your corner, don't they?'

'Yeah,' I replied. 'I'm lucky to have them.' I was suddenly aware of our audience. I was still to meet Logan - he was the slim, dark one standing next to Noah, both were eyeing me as if I was an exotic creature. Harry's soulfinder. Logan was the most I feared - the one who could read the past.

Anne clapped her hands. 'Right, my little ones-'

Little ones? She was the smallest of the family by a long chalk. 

'Breakfast!' she chirped. 'Jacob and Logan - plates. Liam - knives and forks. Niall and Ethan - you make the pancakes. Noah - get the maple syrup.'

'What about Harry?' grumbled Niall.

Anne smiled at us. 'He's got his hands full, comforting his girl, and that's just where he should be. Sit down, you two.'

Harry pulled me into his lap in the breakfast nook and I sat back to enjoy the show. The most dangerous boys in Wrickenridge were completely different at home. Though Jacob and Ethan were grown men, they didn't dare sass their mother and got down to work with everyone else. 

Not having to hide their powers in front of me, I soon got used to the Styles summon things they needed, floating it to hand. It was fascinating. I realised I could see them doing it and I couldn't help wonder if I could do the same thing. 

I watched as Jacob levitated an egg from the box and then, giving in to impulse, I imagined lassoing it with my own power.

To my utter shock, the egg veered from his control and zoomed towards us. Harry made me duck just in time. The egg hit the wall behind us and slid to the floor.