♥-chapter twelve-♥

The third eldest Styles brother, Ethan, came knocking round after we'd gone to bed. Debbie came to fetch me.

'Not asleep yet?'

'No. Wha'sup?'

'The FBI are in the kitchen. They want a word with us.'

I walked into the kitchen, stopping in my tracks in the doorway when I had seen Ethan. He was standing with a female colleague. He had straight, long dark hair tied back in a ponytail and wore a sharp black suit with a silver tie.

'Kenzie.' Ethan held out a hand to me and led me to the seat opposite him. It was strange how he acted so in control in our kitchen. Dean and Debbie had given way to him without murmur, hovering on the margins while he ran the show. 'Do you mind if we record this?' He gestured to the BlackBerry lying on the table.

I glanced at Dean. He shook his head.

'That's OK. I don't mind.'

He pressed a button. 'Record on. Incident seven, seven, eight, slash ten. Interview four. Present in the room are Ethan Styles and Ally Sheldon and witness, Kenzie McIntyre, a minor. Also in attendence are the witness' parents, Dean and Debbie McIntyre.'

'Have I done something wrong?' I asked.

Ethan's expression softened and he shook his head. 'Other than go out with my idiot brother, I'd say not. Kenzie, you're sixteen, right? What's your date of birth?'

'Um ...'

Debbie jumped in. 'No-one's sure of her exact date as she lost her birth parents when she was six. We chose the day we adopted her - first of March - as her birthday.'

The other agent was making notes.

'OK,' said Ethan. 'Now, Kenzie, I want you to tell us in your own words: what happened this evening out in the woods?'

Carefully, I told the story of what happened that day, looking directly at Ethan, knowing he of all people would understand it. Though, there were small things I left out like: the kiss Harry and I shared and the telepathy. Nobody needed to know about that.

''Harry said you were the one to realise there was more than one shooter. How did you know?' Ms Sheldon butted in when I had reached that part.

I wondered if I should make up something about hearing a noise or seeing another person, but decided I'd better stick to the truth.'

'It was a gut feeling - you know, like an instinct.'

'Kenzie's always had good instincts,' added Debbie. 

'Interesting.' Ethan laced his fingers together. 'So you saw nothing, just felt it?'

'Yes.' I rubbed my temples, the headache back.

Ethan dug into his pocket and pulled out a packet of asprin. 'Harry sent these. He said you'd forget to take one.'

I took a tablet with a gulp of water and finished the story.

'Have you caught the men who did this?' Dean asked. Both he and Debbie were pale: they hadn't heard the details of what happened, nor how close the bullets had come.

'No, sir.'

'Any idea who they were?'

'Not at this time.'

'Is Kenzie in danger?'

'We have no reason to think so.' Ethan paused. 'I want to tell you something in confidence; you need to understand so you can make sure Kenzie is safe, but I have to ask you to keep it to yourselves.'