♥-chapter nine-♥

I spent the next few days agonising over my decision.

Part of me was thrilled that I'd bee asked on a date by Harry, but there was another part telling me it was a bad idea. I couldn't even talk to Lisa about it; she'd only tell me I'd lost my mind. I feared she'd persuade me that he was manipulating me, that he'd love me and leave me in the classic pattern of a bad boy. I wanted to believe in the new Harry: that I'd got him wrong, that he could be gentle, that we had common ground and could find more given time. 

But there was so much more to take on board - the savant stuff (was that even real?), and the soulfinder thing he was fixated on. My deepest fear was that he was pretending to like me for a sick game, or because he needed me in some way I had no clue of.

My mum had guessed the distraction but she didn't guess the cause.

'Ken, are you listening to me?'

'Um ... yes?' I hazarded.

'You were not.'

'OK, I wasn't. What did you say?'

'I said we should buy you something special for the opening.' Debbie eyed the limited contents of my wardrobe with her usual good taste. 'You've been worrying about it, haven't you? That's what's gotten into you.'

'Um ...'

'I agree: you don't have anything here that'll do. We'll have to get you a new outfit.'

The Arts Centre was marking the occasion of its formal opening with a black tie reception. Everyone in Wrickenridge was expected to turn out - after all, there wasn't much competition for entertainment until the ski season arrived. And if Debbie thought I didn't have a suitable outfit, I was in trouble: Harry was bound to be there.

                                                                ***

'Don't tell Dean about the shoes,' warned Debbie with a giggle. Debbie had brought me an expensive pair of shoes to wear at the opening with the new dress she brought me - she knew Dean'd go mad if he found out how much it actually cost.

'Girls!' Dean shouted from downstairs. 'Come on now, we'll be late.'

Debbie went down the stairs first, posing for effect in her red sheath dress.

Dean gaped.

'I look good?' Debbie asked, a small frown forming.

Grinned. 'I've changed my mind - let's stay home.' He ran his hand down her satin-clad back. 'I hope Kenzie is wearing something a little less revealing. I'll be chasing off the boys if she looks anything like you.'

I presented myself for his inspection. I had chosen a forget-me-not blue strapless dress that stopped short just above my knees. I'd let my hair loose, leaving it curling down my back, held at the front by two jewelled combs.

Dean shook his head. 'I don't think I can cope. Back to your rooms, girls.'

We laughed and seized him by the arms, towing him out to the car.

                                                                ***

The Reigns Art Centre had a roof line that echoed the peaks behind, sliced in two by an irregular glass pyramid lit up with a wash of blue light. 

With Debbie and I at either side of Dean, he led us inside, keeping his two girls close to his side. 

Lisa manned the guest welcome. She didn't even bother with our guest badges.