♥-chapter eight-♥

I couldn't sleep that night. Hardly surprising seeing what happened on the street with Harry. Arrogant jerk. Thinking all he had to do was announce that I was his and I'd fall straight into his arms - well, Kenzie McIntyre doesn't work like that, not for Harry Styles anyway. I might fancy him, but that doesn't mean I like him - there's a difference. He was cold, abrupt, and rude; he'd crush me within five minutes if I was so foolish as to go out with him.

And as for all the soulfinder stuff - well, that was just bizarre.

And what the heck was a savant?

I got out of bed and pulled on a dressing gown, too restless to lie in bed turning the conversation over and over in my mind. There was so much I didn't understand, but I was afraid of an explanation. The premonition stuff had been plain creepy - he had me half believing him. But I didn't want to change my life just because a boy dreamt something might happen to me. What next? He could say I had to wear only orange or risk getting run over by a bus? Would I go to school looking like a tangerine on his say-so? I don't think so, no. It was all just a ploy to get me doing what he wanted.

Which was what exactly?

The back of my neck prickled. The conviction grew that I wasn't alone. Nervous now, I moved to the window and gingerly drew back the curtain, psycho-style music shrieking in my head.

'Sheesh!' Heart in my mouth, I found myself face to face with Harry. I literally had to bite my tongue to stop myself from screaming. He'd climbed the apple tree and was sitting outside my room, straddling the branch. I threw open the window. 

'What are you doing there?' I hissed. 'Get down, go away.'

He levered himself along the limb. 'Invite me in.'

'Stop - get down!' Panicking, I wondered if I should call Dean.

'No, don't get your dad. I need to talk to you.'

I flapped my hands at him. 'Go away! I don't want you here.'

'I know,' he sighed, giving up the idea to force his way into my room. 'Kenzie, why don't you know you're a savant?'

This was just a weird Romeo-and-Juliet scene and I had to fight the temptation to shut the window on him. 'I can't answer that when I don't understand the question.'

Harry let out a sound which sounded like a growl. 'You heard me speaking to you - in your head. You didn't just follow my hint, you heard my words.'

'I ... I ...'

You answered me.

There his voice was again, but his lips didn't move. His mouth was kept firmly shut as he kept his gaze on me. It was in my head - Harry was talking to me with his thoughts. No! This wasn't happening - it couldn't be happening. Impossible. I was projecting, that's all.

I stared at him, not daring to say anything.

'All savants can do it,' he said.

'I'm not hearing anything. I don't understand what you're talking about.'

'I can see that and I have to know why.'

Confused, the only strategy I could come up with was denial. I had to get him out of my apple tree. 'I'm sure that's very fascinating but it's late and I want to sleep. So ... um ... goodnight, Harry. Let's talk about this some other time.'

Like never.

He folded his arms. 'You won't even give me a hearing?'

'Why should I?'