♥-epilogue-♥

To my horror, photos of me standing in the casino, shooting at the chandelier made it into the papers, talking about Daniel Kane's fall. It made a good storyline but that didn't wash at school where they knew me.

'Hey, Kenzie!' called David, practically tackling me in the hallway. 'What the heck were you doing in Las Vegas last weekend?' 

The Styles and I had discussed what story would best explain my uncharacteristic behaviour. David was the first person who I was to try out the tale on.

'Oh that?' I gave an airy laugh. 'Can you believe the papers? It was a stunt I was doing for a British TV programme - a reconstruction; they're doing this feature on American gun crime. Bad timing on the producer's part as we happened to be there at the same time the hotel manager got arrested. Some health and safer violation or something, my mum said.'

David shook his head. 'No, Kenny baby, the Kanes are very bad guys - wanted for conspiracy murder.'

'Really?' I opened my eyes wide.

Don't overplay it. Harry came up behind me, placing his hands on my waist as he gave me a gentle peck on the cheek. David's no fool. He'll expect you to know about the Kanes.

Well, wow. That's very interesting,' I said, turning the innocence down a notch. 'I should've paid more attention.'

'So you're gonna be on TV?' David asked.

'Yeah. It's a programme for kids, called … um … Blue Peter.'

'Cool. Gun crime - sounds real cutting edge stuff.'

'Yup.'

'Awesome. Let us know when they show it - make sure you get a copy.'

'Will do.'

David jogged away, stealing a kiss from Lisa in the passing. 'Kenzie's gonna be on British TV!' he shouted. 'She's a stunt girl.'

Well, that's one way to spread the story. Stunt girl? I rather liked that. Much better than nutty fruitcake who shot up a casino.

'Come on, Kenz, what you daydreaming about?' Harry asked, entwining his hand perfectly with mine, tugging me back into walking.

'Just stuff.'

'You'd better snap out of it because we've got some serious rehearsing to do. Concert's in two days, babe. It's only a little one; it should be fine.'

'Oh.'

'You nervous?'

I shrugged. 'Not really, just forgot.'

He stopped us in the middle of the hallway and drew me in close, hands on my lower back. He pecked my lips sweetly. 'You're gonna be fine, baby - wanna know why?'

I smiled as I kissed him for the second time. 'Why's that?'

'I'm gonna be there right by your side.'

                                                                ***

Little concert? Mr Styles, I'll be having words with you later.

Harry's "little concert" turned out to be a massive gig with a completely full school auditorium. The mood was festive - Christmas and all. Charlie's cheerleaders came wearing Father Christmas hats; the baseball team had opted for reindeer horns.

The concert started with the geeks who had done themselves proud with an impressive video presentation of the year so far that played on the white screen over the stage. I was particularly embarrassed to see my goal-keeping debut against Harry got its own segment. It was a good save though. Parents mingled with each other, sharing gossip and jokes.