thirtyeight

"Nooooo!" I scream in utter panic as Mo rips the curtain from the window in our bedroom for the second time.

"Don't yell at him, he's sensitive," Christian scolds me.

"I'm not the one in trouble here! He is wrecking the place."

"He's just getting used to it all." I sigh and sit on the bed, contemplating my entire existence. When we got home from school today, we were presented with the biggest mess imaginable. Everything was trashed: the curtains, movies, some books, and even the literal trash was strewn.

Christian sighs even louder, thudding against the bed. "Parenting is hard."

"You haven't lifted a finger in attempt to take care of this cat," I spit. He gasps.

"I'll have you know I filled his automatic feeder yesterday."

"Woo," I sarcastically praise him.

"What do you want to do today? You know, since we aren't having school for Thanksgiving holiday for the rest of the week. We can do something fun!" Christian says "fun" in a singsong voice. I shake my head.

"I don't have a clue. Your dad say anything?"

"He wants to go out Friday. No time for a traditional dinner, he said. He wants to take me and Tobias so we can get to know each other even better, which isn't necessary. He probably feels bad for wanting to go on a date for Thanksgiving. I'd be far from angry about his decision if he did."

Suddenly, my phone rings. I answer without looking and hit speaker.

"Hello? Jay, it's Rosie."

I smile at the voice. "Hey, Christian's on speaker as well. 'Sup?"

"Okay," Kelsey's voice emerges on the line, "what do you guys say to an on-a-whim camping trip?"

"What!? We were just talking about doing something fun!" Christian beams. He smiles and nods up and down quickly, nearly convincing me.

"What are the stipulations to this? You guys never do things very orthodox," I question, and with good reason. The last time we did something with them "on a whim" we ended up covered in cake. It's a long story.

"We swear this isn't like the cake thing," Kelsey reads my mind. "We want to hang out and have a good time. The main reason we want to do this is because we want to have sex outside, but we thought you guys would wanna come along. And... pay for food?"

"Oh, so it's about money." Christian crosses his arms and pouts.

"No way," Kelsey denies, "It's more than that. We will bring tents and sleeping bags. We just can't get the cash from either of our parents for the food and we have already blown through our paychecks for... things. We'll drive. You guys just bring the food."

"Alright, alright. What are we doing? Roasted hot dogs or something?" Christian asks. We agree to bring some different foods we all want.

"We've got weed and beer, so you preppy boys don't have to worry about that. Just bring water and foooood. We'll see you in an hour." Kelsey and Rosie sign off.

"Bye!" Christian and I say in unison and end the call. We both laugh a little and lie down. Christian orders our things with Postmates, so that way we can pack for the trip. I fill a backpack full of clothes and stuff some toiletries in the pockets. I don't know if we'll even bathe, since I have no idea where we are even going at all. I had everything packed up when the most crucial thing hit me.

"Christian?" I call for him inside the apartment. It took a moment for him to respond, but he rushed into the room with a receipt and his wallet. "Oh, did the Postmate show up?"