forty

Author's Note:

here we are. the home stretch baby. hope all you dreamers out there are ready for a bangin' finale.

the song for this chapter is special in that:
1. it is the best Christmas song to represent a Christmas chapter
2. Mariah is THE skinny legend

okay that's all carry on

• • • • • • •

"Mo, stop touching that," I say sternly, grabbing his little booty and tossing him lightly onto the couch. I continue to string the Christmas bulbs across the wall.

"Thanks for helping with the decorating," Christian says.

I sigh, "Like I told you: what kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't help out? I mean, it's a party for our friends– and their parents, mind you– so I should help, too."

"Jay," Ethan says, walking into the room, "we are still grateful. Christian wanted to have an extravagant Christmas party, not you. So it is a kindness of you. Besides, it is in my house. I should be thanking you as well."

"It's nothing, really," I say. We would've had the party at our apartment, but since we are inviting everyone's parents, too, we wanted to have it here. It's much bigger and easier to locate. There's going to be like 20 people here I think, so the party will be more fun and roomy.

"Okay, you know we are grateful for you. Now, let me repay you," Christian says and kisses me. I return the sweet gesture gingerly.

"Alright, I may not be either of your fathers," Tobias says as he walks in the room, "but I'd say that's a little too much PDA." He then gives Ethan a kiss just the same.

"Don't give them a double standard, babe," Ethan says, chuckling. I love there relationship so much it burns.

Meanwhile, my mom is dating the principal of our high school, which isn't the worst but is also really weird. I was in the unique position to get to know my mom's new boyfriend before she even knew him. I know he's a careful, protective, and truly compassionate person. I would invite him to the Christmas party, but I'm almost certain he has things to do on Christmas Eve with his own family.

"Do you know if everyone is coming?" I ask Christian. He shook his head.

"Quentin said his parents probably won't allow him to come, even without them. They do not want him associating with Hector or his parents." That makes my blood boil.

I growl, "It isn't fair. Quen and Hector deserve freedom to love each other. I just wish their parents were as lenient as ours." Christian rubs my shoulder.

"I know. Maybe you can talk to them yourself and convince them to come." I cross my arms and huff out a morsel of my frustration.

"That's the point you're missing. No one should have to be convinced of anything. It should just be natural to parents. This will hurt them more than help them." Christian nods, grabbing my hips to hug me. I return the embrace for comfort, and maybe our hope will answer a prayer for Quentin and Hector.

"Don't worry, though," I continue. "I am still definitely going to talk to Quen's parents." I feel his grip tighten. He shakes me back and forth excitedly.

"The only guy I know that can solve almost any problem just with his powerful voice. I know they will see things your way. I'm counting on you."

• • •

I find my stupid ass standing outside of Quentin's home, mere inches away from taping my knuckles to the wooden door. Once I knock, I can feel my heart drop down into my feet as the scamper of smaller feet answer the door. Quentin's little brother Mac opens the door for me, creeping his head through to check for a stranger.