Chapter 31

We walk back into the penthouse and I stop dead in my tracks.

An hour till movie night.

Cameron sits on the couch with his laptop illuminating his face beautifully. He doesn't acknowledge my presence and I look down as my heart clenches.

What did I even do?..

Vanessa grabs the groceries from my hands, and walks them to the kitchen.
I close the door.
"Hey." I say walking over to the couch.
He mutters a 'Hi' and continues his paperwork not even bothering to spare me a glance.
"How's your day been?" I ask trying to start a conversation but, he just shrugs keeping his attention fixed on the blindingly bright screen.
My jaw ticks in anger as I close my eyes.
"Alright. I'm done." I state firmly as I stand up with my hands raised in surrender. "Obviously we're having too many problems lately, and it's not healt-"

"Bullshit." He mutters lowly, taking a few clicks on his computer.

"Bullshit?! You can't even look at me anymore when I talk to you, Cameron!" I exclaim as I give him an incredulous look—flailing my arms.
He looks up at me with furrowed eyebrows as he stands up.

"I'm looking at you right now. Aren't I?" He asks as he stares at me straight in the eyes with a stiffly clenched jaw.

"Cameron! I don't actually give a shit about you looking at me! What I give a shit about is the fact that we don't have a healthy relationship. Haven't you noticed that almost every time I'm around you its like all I do I cry?! That's not healthy!" I yell. "This," I say pointing in between us. "Doesn't feel the same! At some point it was like we were happy and there was more to us, now all that happens is you or someone makes me cry, we hug, we fuck, and then we repeat! You might like the thought of me crying and fucking me till I forget, but I don't want that...I really don't want that to be the only way you make me feel better." I finish with wide eyes as my heart pounds erratically against my chest.

Cameron's fists are clenches as he glares into my eyes. "Are you dumb? You really think I just wanna fuck you and make you forget shit!" He now yells, though I stand my ground. The veins against his neck define with ever second past as his posture straightens to full height in order to intimidate me. "Do you even know what kind of fucking business we are in?! Love isn't easy here, Hazel! I don't know what type of fucking world you are living in but, it sure as hell ain't this one. Oh and I'm sorry that apparently I don't make you happy anymore. I'm so fucking sorry, Hazel." He spits, breathing hard. His breaths come out harsh and uneven as his eyes portrayed a largely painted picture of betrayal. He moves past me and walks out of the front door with his hands shoved in his pant pockets.

I close my eyes and sit down on the couch, shutting the screen of his laptop and wait..but I don't know for what.

Vanessa walks back into the room with earbuds in her ears as she bobs her head to the music that plays. She opens her eyes and sends me a smile as she points at the tacos on her plate as if asking if I want some.

I shake my head no and give her back a hoax smile. She shrugs and walks back into the kitchen- disappearing from my view- and I sigh- pushing my hair away from my face.

"I'm sorry that I don't make you happy anymore."

That's not what I meant.

Vanessa sits on the couch eating her highly heated tacos with hot sauce.

I barely feel time pass when the first knock at the door hits.
I stand off of the couch and unlock the door—opening it.

Oliver and Cole walk in with beer cases in their hands.