Dark

In the dark, Tom was startled by an unidentifiable sound. He sat up, black eyes trying to take in any speck of light that floated around in the prison. "Hello?" he called aggressively. His posture sharpened and he leaned forward. "Show... Show yourself. I'll go monster and destroy you."

"Oh, Tom. Don't fool yourself." Tom gave a startled cry at the voice that was right next to him. And it was obviously Tord. He could tell by the accent and the guttural sounds deep in the throat. "You know you can't trigger it on purpose." A Tom felt a weight next to him cause his bed to sink.

Tom kicked his leg out toward the source of the weight. To his surprise, his foot was grabbed in Tord's hand, even though it didn't seem possible for him to have seen it coming in the pitch darkness. Tom frantically kicked his foot around, but the grip was too strong. It lowered his foot calmly but forcefully back down to the bed. "Be still, Tom. We don't want another incident, do we?"

Tom glared through the dark at the man. "Why are you in here? Get out."

"You wanted food, yeah?"

Tom huffed and folded his arms.

"Take it." Tom jumped as he felt a hard tray take residence on his lap. He blindly felt around to figure out what it was. He again startled as his finger poked something mushy and warm on the tray. He leaned down and smelled it.

His mouth automatically began to water and his stomach growled as he smelled the heavenly scent of mashed potatoes. Tom felt around some more and his fingers eventually wrapped around some utensil - fork or spoon, he didn't care. He was so hungry.

As he devoured bite after bite, Tord began to talk. "I was going to bring you something spoiled." He laughed as Tom stopped eating to glare in the general direction of his voice. "I don't want you sick, though. That wouldn't do at all."

Tom shook his head with a sound of disgust. Suddenly, it came to him that maybe his food had been poisoned... Nah, he wouldn't do that. Like he said, he wouldn't want me sick. Tom shoved the doubts away but still remained alert.

It also struck him that now might be the perfect time to get some answers.

"Tord. Why did you kidnap us?"

Tord laughed his signature throaty laugh. "I knew you'd ask that." Tom felt Tord's weight shift on the bed. "For starters, you two are extremely gullible. I also knew that you guys had that shrink ray and would come back for it."

"How?" Tom asked.

"Ah, it used to be mine."

Tom grunted with frustration. Of course it was. The only reason Matt would have any sort of weapon was because he'd taken it from Tord's recovered belongings. How could he have trusted anything Tord owned? How had Tom gotten that ignorant?

"I also need you two. Especially you, monster boy."

The black eyed man's eyes widened. "W-what?" Many ideas about what Tord could mean swam through his mind. But the one he dreaded most was being needed as a friend. Could he ever be Tord's friend? Could he ever-

"I need your power for my army."

Oh.

That's not much better.

"Your monster form. It's very strong. You'll be a very useful weapon." He heard Tord chuckle. "I'm surprised you didn't figure it out sooner. It's horribly obvious. Why else would I need someone like you?"

Tom scowled in the dark. Another question entered his mind. "How did... How did you know how to... activate it? My monster form?"

"How do I know?" Tom gasped with surprise as Tord pinned him against the wall with his hands, the tray falling off of his lap. "How?" He felt Tord lean in next to his face. He felt the breath on his ear as he whispered, "I created you."