Inadequate

Hello, my readers. Thank you for waiting a bit longer than usual for this chapter. I was struggling to get it to an acceptable and satisfying length, but it ended up as the longest one so far.

Anyway, there are moderate flesh injuries in this chapter, so those who are sensetive to it, be warned.

As Tom began to gain consciousness, Matt was filled with dread over what would happen when he noticed Tord. Would he threaten him? Would he call him names? Matt hoped not. Who knows what Tord would do in retaliation?

Tord turned around to look at Tom as well. Matt could see a wide grin crawl over the Norwegian's face. He couldn't help but wonder what was running through his mind. Is he imagining... torturing him? Matt wouldn't have been surprised, after all Tord did to Tom when he returned.

Tom fidgeted and shuffled around for a bit, obviously unaware of the situation. He sat up, with a look on his face that reminded Matt of when he would get a hangover. His eyes were half closed with an exhausted expression. He held his head as if he had a headache. Blinking slowly, he stood up, facing the wall.

He suddenly perked up with a thoughtful and concerned look on his face, standing up straighter, carefully touching each shoulder. Is he checking for me? Matt wondered. After a second he lowered his hands and slumped in his posture. He checked the room around him - looking in one corner, then the next.

Matt held his breath as Tom finally turned to face the barred wall.

It was obvious to Matt when he spotted Tord. Tom stopped. He just... stared. Eye sockets emotionless. Mouth slightly open, as if caught mid-breath. The tension that crackled in the air between the black-sweatered man and the blue-hooded one was indescribable.

Tord finally broke the silence. "Hellooo, Thomas! Welcome to the world of the waking, eh?"

Tom didn't react. His silence was disturbing.

As Matt worriedly glanced between the two enemies, Tord chuckled and turned toward Matt again. "He's just confused that I'm alive," he said 'quietly,' but still loud enough for Tom to hear. "Classic stupid Tom, haha!"

Now Tom reacted.

He growled, gritting his teeth, like a feral animal snarling. Tom, please don't... Tom mumbled something through a clenched jaw. Matt couldn't make it out but it was definitely angry.

Tom suddenly lunged forward to grab the bars of the cage in anger.

It seemed to happen in slow motion.

Matt watched as Tom threw his body weight toward the bars. As he did so, Tord got a wicked, wide grin on his face and made a strange, guttural noise in between anticipation and twisted pity. His eyes scrunched up with a sick joy.

Crackle!

With a pitiful, agonized yell, Tom fell to the ground on his back. He retracted into a fetal position, cradling his hands. "Agh!" he whimpered. He squeezed his sockets shut and a trail of water streamed out down his cheek. He coughed and gasped for air, feeling himself shaking and quivering. His arms and legs spasmed violently, causing him to almost injure himself further.

There was a long, blackish-green burn mark on each of his palms.

They're electrified?

Tord shook his head faintly and was mostly able to wipe the strange look from his eyes. But there was still a vague look in his eyes of complete wicked enjoyment. "I was... afraid that would happen!"

Tom was still groaning in pain on the floor. His spasms slowed down and eventually stopped and he caught his breath. Sparkling drops of water could be seen leaking from the corners of his lidded sockets. His jaw was clenched with raw anger and intense pain.