Chapter 5

Christine’s POV

We entered the café, he asked to be seated in the back corner booth so we could have a little more privacy. The waitress took our order. I ordered the chicken salad, and a cup of french vanilla coffee. He wound up ordering the same. As we waited we talked, about who we were, what we do. He seemed pretty impressed that I build choppers and custom cars. Most men look at me with disgust because “that’s a man’s job”. He explained that he was a fashion designer, and then he said the last thing I ever expected to hear.

“I’m also the Bassist for a L.A. based band called Black Veil Brides.”

With the way he shrunk back, you would have thought I grew fangs that spewed venom. Did he expect me to jump on him and maul him?

“Relax Ashley, I’m not going to freak out. I’m not the fan girl type.” He seemed to breathe a bit easier at this but he still had his guard up. “Besides, I’m not usually one for watching MTV or listening to the radio. I’ll be honest, I don’t know if I’ve ever even heard one of your songs.”

He looked at me, quizzically at first. Trying to size up if I was telling the truth or not. Then he really seemed to relax.

“So you’ve really never heard of us?”

“Like I said, I might have heard a song or two of yours on the radio. But I don’t pay attention enough to who’s playing the song when they announce the band after it plays. I’m usually so busy between the farm, lessons, training horses, building bikes and cars. I don’t watch much TV. I will say this though, it caught me off guard but I kinda had a feeling you were a rock star from the moment I ran into you.”

After I said this, the waitress walked up with our food. She looked at me like she wanted to bite my head off, then turned to him and with all the control she had in her tiny little body, she quietly asked him for his autograph, telling him how much she loved him and the band, and how their music saved her life. “I’m really gunna have to listen to their music. Just to see what this girl was talking about,” I thought to myself.

He signed the piece of paper, and thanked her. Stood up and gave her a hug. She lost all control and started crying. After she walked away, I looked at him in awe. This girl just told him that the music he plays saved her life. And he accepted it with compassion and thanks, but also as though he’s heard this before. What am I missing? He saw my stare, and blushed, looking back down at his lunch. When he looked back up at me, I was smiling, feeling more humbled than I have in a while. He smiled back.

We ate and we chatted for, what didn’t seem like long, but wound up being the better part of 4 hours. When we realized the time, he paid for our lunch and we walked out the door. We had a lot in common, and we found that we were comfortable with talking to each other.

We stopped at my car, and I turned to him.

Ashley’s POV

I’m enjoying my time with Christine too much to let our day end here. When we got to her car and she turned to me, she had that look like she felt the same. I couldn't let her go, not just yet.

“Would you like to take a walk down near the beach?”

“I’d really like that.”

And there was that smile again. So genuine. So, I dunno, sexy.

“It’s not a far drive from here. If you want you can follow me so you don’t have to leave your car here.”

“That sounds good. I wouldn’t want anything to happen to this car. She was my first build and is kinda my baby. I only took her out because my truck doesn’t fit in these spaces very well.”