14

kataleah p.o.v

I scanned the screen of my computer reading over the anxious typing of my anxious assistant, I ran my fingers through my hair as I took a deep breath. I had a whole life to return to, a job, an apartment, friends and a very unstable best friend and yet I felt guilty for leaving my family at such a hard time but I couldn't stay here forever, even if I wanted to. I closed the screen of my laptop and lifted myself up from my bed, I walked towards my bedroom door and creaked it open. I could hear my mother chatting up a storm to my brother downstairs and I could already tell Robbie was barely listening. 

"can you believe she wore those red velvet shoes to the horse race? such a tasteless choice" my mother ranted as she popped open a bottle of her favorite wine. I raised my eyebrows at Robbie who seemed more miserable than when his pet goldfish passed away in grade school.

"Oh, kataleah you've  finally decided to leave your room for once"

"don't discourage me mother, I can crawl back inside no questions asked"

I warned, Robbie giggled and popped a cherry into his mouth as he made his way out of the kitchen, i guess he saw me entering the room as his gateway opportunity. my mother smiled and filled up her glass to the brim "woah mom isn't it a little bit too early for all that?" I furrowed my eyebrows and sat down on the stall Robbie had left vacant. "oh of course says the lady who shugged down a whole cup of tequila like it was water" she snapped back, taking a sip of her glass.

"touche"

she glanced over at me and sighed "what is it now?" i pursed my lips and kind of smiled at my mothers instant recognizition when something was happening inside my mind "i have to back home mom" i looked down at my hands and then back to her skinny frame. she took a gulp of her wine and set the glass down and took a deep breath "i know kataleah, you and robbie cant stay here forever" she suggested nonchalantly.

"mom, you know i could stay i would but i have a job and friends and things i have to back to" i tried to defend my decision but i could see the disappointment in her eyes, i lifted myself up from my seat and began heading towards my room to pack my things but before i could reach the glass doors infront of me, i heard my mom groan

"when are you leaving?" she spoke softly as if lingering on each word, i hummed "tomorrow morning" like if i said any louder my mother would crumble to pieces. there was silence after that i continued my walk towards my bedroom, i truly didn't want to leave but i had overstayed my visit, my father had been buried and we had mourned and although i cry every night remembering my old mans eyes, i had to return to my life because i would fix nothing here, nothing would bring my father back.

-

I managed to pack all my clothes and some of my dads items in my small suitcase, when I had heard the news I thought I would stay only a few days but those few days had turned into a few weeks and I don't know if that had anything to do with mourning my fathers death or seeing Jake again. 

I heard my bedroom door creak open and there stood my mother with tired swollen watery eyes, like a lost child. I sighed and zipped up my suitcase and placed it in my closet. 

"even though you and Robbie became independent so many years ago, I still can't stomach you guys leaving"

she hummed, her voice cracking after a few words, I walked closer and glanced at her brunette hair with grey streaks of old age.