CHAPTER 14 - LOST IN YOUR MIND

*Continued from previous chapter*

- Destiny -

Suddenly it made sense, the night at the club, when I found him yelling in the middle of the dance floor. The amount of agony and pain contained within him.

Even for a God like him, the pain was that overwhelming.

"How was she like?" I found myself asking.

"You mean Psyche?"

I nodded.

Payne sighed, "She was a lot like you, red hair, brown eyes, but body wise, she was more petite as compared to you."

I could feel my heart slowly come apart, I actually thought and secretly hoped that Eros liked me for who I am. Clearly I was wrong, he was in love with the idea of me, seeing that I looked somewhat similar to that girl he loved so deeply.

"I told him not to get close to you, you're too good for him Destiny. Even if he is a God, he's way too messed up and I don't want him to ruin a normal female human's life. You have a great future ahead of you, stardom is your thing."

I nodded solemnly at his words, he was right. In every sense of it.

This bleeding man lying on my lap was in need of a lot of help and I wasn't sure I could provide that. Not if I was just some substitute for his long lost lover.

"Has he shown you the pairing machine?" Payne asked.

I nodded.

"So you know who your partner is now?" He continued.

"I do."

"Will you try to be with him? I mean with your arranged partner. For real. I hate to do this, it seems like I'm forcing you to be with someone you don't like. But I want Eros to have a clean cut with his emotions towards you, it's not fair for you or for him."

My eyes filled with tears and I cast my eyes down to the God's still face.

I could feel his heart beating under my hand as I soothed his chest. 

"I will try, my partner doesn't look that bad. Hopefully the machine got it right this time round," I smiled slightly and Payne gave me a sad look before patting my shoulder.

"I hope so too."

***

      *Back to present*

- Destiny -

I didn't tell Eros much, other than the general story of what Payne told me about his suicidal ways and what I saw that night. I didn't mention a thing about Psyche, I didn't want to reopen that old wound of his.

I couldn't decipher what was going on in his mind as I told him this. But the needle he hid away from me earlier was probably another one of his crazy ways to kill himself. Poisoning.

I'm not sure I want to know or see the other horrific ways he used to commit suicide. That night was gruesome enough for me.

"I'm sorry," Eros mumbled.

"For what exactly?" I questioned.

"For letting you see all that," he answered.

The whole time his eyes were down, staring at his hands. It felt like I was reprimanding a child.

"It's okay, I just hope you won't do something like that again. You won't, would you?" I tried anchoring this in his mind and he glanced up at me.