Chapter 6: Innocent, Naive or Foolish

He parked where he picked her up, she was quiet "what's wrong?" he asked with a worried look. Her face was straight, there was a look of dissatisfaction on her face "you're not pleased?" he enquired.

Tahira has been postponing this conversation for too long, she was done with secondary school and all her friends where getting married, she's been waiting for him to bring up the conversation but he never did, so now she's bringing the conversation to him. "We've known each other for 4years now fa, since I was in ss1, isn't it time you come home and meet my parents?" from his eyes she was sure he was shocked, and from his silence she knew that the conversation wasn't going to be a pleasant one, he smiled "yes i was also thinking about that , kawai dai kin riga ni ne"

She could tell he was lying, he was always so confident and upfront, this time he was unsure of what to say "Abdulmaleek!" she paused, with all seriousness she continued "Mommy has been asking me who I'm seeing and I told her about you, she said that if you're serious ka zo a san ka, atleast we can stop all this sneaking around mana"

He was still calm and his face was straight but he was obviously having a problem using his words, he was quiet for a while then he held her left hand and said "Tahira what's your rush, you're just 18, you have a long way to go, but you want us to get married ne?" she was sure that's what she wanted, she was uncomfortable admitting it was all she wanted, but the conversation couldn't be any more awkward than it already was "Yes i do."

He reasoned for a moment and then he said "OK I'll meet your parents and then i can send my people soon" she felt a rush of happiness for finally she could be with him everyday.. YES! She loved him dearly, but also she wanted to end the sin they shared, at least soon she won't have to compromise her standards for the love she felt for him. "I'll tell them then" but she couldn't hide the happiness on her face. He just smiled "Tahira kenan, an girma ana son aure" She closed her face, she felt embarrassed "wa ya ce ina son aure? Dama ba da girma na ka sanni ba."

He laughed "inahhh!!! lokacin ana kwaila" The car couldn't any be smaller, she wanted to drown and he kept laughing. They had a long conversation reminiscing about the past and then she saw the time "I have to go, before they start calling me" he looked at his watch "alright a gaida mommy" that was the first time he ever said that to her "zata ji" and then she walked out and headed home.

Later that night she went and she told her mom about him, mommy was pleased, she promised to inform their father. Tahira went back to her room and messaged him "Hey handsome, I have good news" His message wasn't delivering , she tried calling him but his phone was unreachable. She wondered what went wrong, it wasn't like him. She was worried, she kept trying to reach him but couldn't, she couldn't sleep that night, she kept turning and twisting around till it was morning.

2 YEARS LATER

Tahira, Zainab and Rhabz became very close. Tahira and Rhabz were both in Kaduna State University (KASU) and Zainab still hasn't gotten admission into any A level institution. Tahira and Rhabz went to pay their school fees in FCMB Bank, U/sarki , Zainab tagged along.

As usually they were gisting and laughing about things that made absolutely no sense. She turn around and there he was, her heart skipped a beat, her brain must have failed her because she had no idea where she was for a minute or two. Heat from only God knows where, because the weather was actually cold. She wanted to scream, she wanted to disappear, no actually she wanted to die. He had already seen her and he looked straight into her eyes without blinking, and then he smiled and walked towards them. He wasn't alone, she knew the other guy too, she never met him but she had seen his photos a thousand times.

She turn back around facing her friends and the only words that could come out of her mouth where "Innalillahi wa inna ilaihirraju'un" Rhabz tapped her shoulder "Tee! Wannan irin salati haka, lafiya ki ke zufa a cikin sanyin nan?"