Chapter 36: Regret {Edited}

THE NEXT MORNING
Regret! regret!! regret!!! Zainab Sadiq knew a hell lot about Regret. Regret was marrying an impulsive, immoral, insensitive, inconsiderate, unfaithful, disrespectful, wife abusing man whose transgressions had no bounds. Regret was thinking she could change him or at least get him to love her, regret was not knowing that she was pregnant again and miscarried her baby because she was brutally raped by her own husband the night before. Regret was knowing that all this was over a girl who in literal sense could not rub shoulders with her.

He abused her the whole night and even when she began to bleed he didn't stop. She cried and she begged, the next morning he took a shower leaving her in bed and she dragged herself to her room in pain locking her door to keep him from following her. She waited in fear thinking he would decide he wasn't done, but the good thing about the door was that he couldn't break it down. That gave her some kind of comfort

At around 8am she heard his car roar to life and peeped through the window to confirm him leaving. She then opened the door to look for her phone, when she found it she thought of who to call, who would save her now?

She dropped the phone deciding not to involve anyone in her marital affairs, the only person she needed to call didn't have a phone. She was afraid Abdulzahir might attack Tahira, but then dismissed the thought knowing that Tahira was safely home.

There was no hot water in her bathroom so she had to use his, she was in immense pain. She washed herself with hot water, afterwards used her manicure set to remove the glass that sunk into her feet, that was one on of the painful things she ever had to do to herself. When she was done she went back to her room leaving her night gown, the bedsheet, the floor all stained in her blood, not to mention the room which was scattered from all angles. She wanted him to come back and see what he did to her.

Zainab limped back to her room and laid on her bed after taking some pain killers but that didn't help with the pain she felt inside. She slept off a while after taking the pills which included some sleeping pills. when she heard the maid banging on the door, she didn't want anyone in her house that day so she ignored it. A few minutes later the maid came to her window and knocked "Hajiya! Hajiya?"

"yaya ne wai?"

"ina ta buga kofar naji ki shuru ne, ban san ko lafiya ba?"

"eh lafiya kalau, amma ki dawo gobe kawai, yau banda bukatar a min komai"

"toh shikenan sai goben"

But of course the maid didn't leave until she and the guard outside the gate gossiped about how he kept hearing screams through the night. He told her that he was ordered by Abdulzahir to call him if anyone came to the house after his leaving.