18

Frances
July, 1994
•••

I was hunched over the toilet, vomiting the food I had ate earlier.

"It's a sign, little girl." I heard my mother  spit. A grimace on her wrinkled face.

"I'm telling you. Do not marry that boy. He's a good for nothing junkie who plans to leave you on the street."

I wiped my mouth, getting up and reaching for the mouth wash.

"He'll leave you pregnant, I'm telling ya. You're such a smart girl, Frances Rose. You're better than this. Leave him while you can." She smiled as I gargled the mouth wash and spit it into the sink.

"You don't know shit." I spit.

Her eyes widened, grabbing me by my wrists. "You will not speak to me that way!" She yelled, slapping me across the face.

"I just did." I pushed her away from me.

"All of my life, you've told me what to do! All of my life, you wanted to control me because you fucked up yours, never again." My voice boomed.

"Just because your husband left you because no man could handle you, doesn't mean my husband will. He loves me. He'd give up his life for me." I said.

Her head snapped at me, a look of disgust on her face. "Your father wasn't a man, your father was shit! Your father didn't give a damn about you!" She cried.

"That's where you're wrong. My dad might've left you, but he never left me. He cares! All he's ever done is support me!" I paused, looking at her dead in the eye.

"Just because he remarried, had two amazing children, and I found love, going to be married in a few hours, doesn't mean you ever won't. You're bitter, Ingrid." I told my mother.

"I love this man. I've given him the most amazing years of my life. I will forever be his, no matter what. I'd risk my life for him if I have to. You know what the greatest thing about being with Billie is, mom? He lets me be me. He makes me happy. He comforts me. He's always been there for me. No matter what."

I paused for a brief second. "-and that's something you won't ever relate to." I continued, starting into her dead green eyes.

Her eyes were red, her fists were clenched,

"Frances! I am your mother, respect me! I have done nothing but keep a roof over your head and give you the best I could!" "You earn respect. So far, you haven't given me or Billie any!" She pushed me out of the bathroom.

I ran into my room, collecting all the stuff I had left in that house.

The rest of my stuff had been down at Billie's, we had already said we'd move in together.

She followed me as I picked up the simple wedding dress off the bed.

I shut my door in her face, locking it.

I ran to my dresser, taking out my french braid, letting my waves fall on my shoulder, twisting the sides of my hair and clipping it back with a small gem brooch.

I applied my makeup, finishing off with glossing my pink lips.

I walked over to my bed, picking up the dress my father had bought for me just for the wedding.

It was a simple, white colored spaghetti strapped dress that reached to the floor.

(I have that dress and i just thought it would be cute lol oof)

I slipped it on, letting the fabric hit my ankles. I looked down at myself, perking a small smile.

Today, my life would change.  I'd no longer would be Frances Vaughn.

I'd be Frances Rose Armstrong.

"Frances Rose Armstrong." I repeated, out loud. A smile on my lips.

I slipped on my thick heeled cream colored 4 inch heels, buckling up the ankle clasp.

I walked over to my dresser, putting on the simple sapphire necklace my step mother had given me.

"Something blue." I joked to myself.

I looked at my complexion in the mirror.

I smiled to myself, hoping Billie would approve of what I put together.

I smoothed out my dress, grabbing the small bottle of perfume and spraying myself.

I grabbed the last of my things and shoved them in the suit case, quickly.

I looked down at the clock on the dresser, reading the time.

1:38

"Shit!" I said, closing the suit case.

Billie and I had agreed we'd meet at his mom's. We were getting married in her backyard.

I looked around my old room, making sure I was leaving nothing behind.

I looked at myself one last time, smiling, before opening the door.

I walked down the hall, a smile on my face.

"You look beautiful." My mother said when I reached the living room.

A cigarette in her hand and a magazine in her lap.

"Too beautiful for him." She snarled.

"Shut the fuck up, old bitch." I spat, opening the front door and walking to my car.

"Good, get out! I never wang to see you, ever again! Mark my words, Frances, you will need me again and I'll laugh in your face and say I told you so!" She cackled as she stood in her doorway.

"In your fucking dreams!" I threw my suit case in the trunk, locking it. "Go to hell, bitch! I don't need you! I never have!" I said, getting into the car.

"You stupid girl, you don't know what your getting into!" She screamed from her lawn.

"Go fuck yourself!" I yelled, speeding over her mailbox.