27

Frances
Present

•••

I was sitting on my dad's couch, I had left Billie a few days ago.

He was stubborn, refused to let me leave until my dad came in, angry, telling Billie it was best.

He had tried to call me, many times. I ignored him, Heather would pick up the phone and told him to "spazz off" my dad being next to her at the time, forbidding her on cursing in front of him.

Jason, on the other hand, was a different case. He pulled out every curse word in the book when Billie called, my dad wasn't proud of him but my dad somewhat resented Billie so he let him off with a warning.

Irene was upset, we had talked about it. They both told me to stay until I thought I was ready.

I was upset. I was angry. I didn't want to be trapped in that house, trapped in some relationship I wasn't happy in.

I've tried, I've tried so hard to try and love him. But, forcing my feelings wasn't healthy.

"You don't need this, Frances. The past you loved him to death, you don't have to force these feelings because your past had them." Irene's wise words had echoed in my head.

But, maybe I did love him. Maybe I didn't give him enough time.

I tried to force myself, not letting me to get to know him. Maybe, that's what made us toxic.

"Hey Fran!" I heard Heather come through the door, dropping her backpack on the love seat.

"Hi Heths." I smiled, as she walked into the kitchen.

"How was school?" I asked, getting up and walking into the kitchen, along with her.

"Annoying. My friend Tamara, was totally being a bitch. She started dating the school's quarterback, Austin Peterson, and now she thinks she's all cool!" She ranted as she poured herself juice.

"And it's totally unfair because I found out Austin had liked me too!" She rolled her eyes, setting down her glass.

"How do you know he liked you?" I smirked, crossing my arms.

"Jason is like best friends with him and Austin told Jason!" She stomped her foot, angry at whoever the boy was.

"Jason told me and I thought about it but I guess it took me too long and now he's going out with Tamara who by the way, is stuck in the 80s!" She threw her hands up in the air, frustratingly.

"Alright, calm down Heather." I lightly laughed. "Plus, boys are gross. You don't need them." I shrugged.

"But Austin is like the hottest guy in school." She sighed, walking towards the kitchen table, taking a seat.

I followed her, pulling up a chair next to her. "So? There will be hotter guys, nicer guys. Also, you never know. Maybe, you still have a chance with Austin." I smiled, patting her back.

"Life is full of surprises." I told her.

"I guess, you're right." Heather slightly grinned.